Best paint to use for a DIY screen?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I hope I have the right area, but can someone tell me what is the best paint to use for a DIY screen for a FP? I can't really afford Goo Screen right now, but will upgrade later on to either that or a real screen.

My screen right now is something called 'Midtown Grey' but I would like to change it, i've heard of others in the past use other shades from Home Depot, they even provided color mixuture formula's.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks. [​IMG]

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

There are many opinions on the "shade" to use, but I just went with the Behr SilverScreen at Home Depot and I haven't felt the need to change it in over a year. You really can't go wrong with this "neutral" color.
    JP

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    The Screen section at AVS has a DIY sub-section. If you can get past some of the bickering between the prolific posters, there's a ton of good information there. People not only post "colors" they post the mixing information and instructions on applying it. There's also a bunch of pictures with examples of each.

-Robert

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    What projector do you have? This may determine a shade to consider.

5. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I have the Infocus X-1.

6. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

i am very statisfied with behr silverscreen painted onto drywall. It could be an option.

7. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Hmmm, okay, I think i'm going to go with the Behr silverscreen, even the name is appropriate.

Thank's fella's. [​IMG]

8. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

Much has happened in the DIY Screen Paint world since 2005. I have been in touch with the folks at the Behr Color Laboratory in California and they have stated that the "Silver Screen" tint is not formulated to be a neutral gray or used as a screen paint. It's just a name.

9. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

Color testing has also shown that Behr "Silver Screen" is not neutral. Actually Behr "Sterling" 780E is closer to neutral. Having said that, there is something you can do to make that "Silver Screen" painted screen better. I stumbled upon an enhancement that works exceptionally well on "Silver Screen". I tried applying Behr Matte Polyurethane #780 over a sample panel of SS hoping it would not adversely effect it but provide a protective coating. Much to my surprise it gave a nice gain boost, helped to neutralize the gray, did not effect the black performance, and added a nice protective coating to boot.

10. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

Now if you have not already used Behr "Silver Screen" or you want to improve the image then you will be interested to know that I have also worked with an individual that has all the color test equipment and worked out near neutral tints for Behr UPW #1050.

I have determined that the right ratio of Lamp Black to Yellow Oxide will produce a near neutral gray. For example:
    For something closer in darkness to the "Silver Screen" then go with:
    If you want a lighter gray then cut the formula in half:
    Just take one of these tint formulas to a Behr dealer (Home Depot) and they will mix it up for you.

11. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

What about that Behr Matte Polyurethane #780 top coat with this tint. It also works well over a proper near neutral gray. It will maintain the blacks and boost the gain gently improving whites and flesh tones. Look for this Behr product in the Faux Finishes department of your local Home Depot. If the clerk says they don't sell it the ask to see the Behr Faux Glaze. The "BEHR PREMIUM PLUS WITH STYLE® Crystal Clear Water Based Polyurethane No. 780" will be right next to it.

12. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

If you don't want to fool around with polyurethane top coats then I have an answer for that also.

The first alternate is a new Behr product call "Premium Plus Ultra™ Exterior Flat Ultra Pure White #4850". This is a self priming exterior paint that is not quite as flat as the regular UPW #1050. It therefore produces a brighter picture while maintaining the blacks. It is very durable and flexible. This would be an excellent choice for anyone wanting to paint a retractable screen.

13. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

Another good one can solution is the "PREMIUM PLUS® Interior Flat Enamel
    Ultra Pure White #1850". It has more sheen than the regular UPW #1050 and is very washable. It will produce a much brighter image while not adversely effecting black levels.

14. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

Here is a tip for someone with a rough surface to use as a screen. A flat paint will not show surface roughness in the image. If this is of interest then ask me about it when I get my 10 posts in and can show you.

15. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

For those of you who may be a little more adventurous and want more gain there are pearl clear coats. This is the Behr Matte Polyurethane #780 with some mica flakes added. The best choice I have found at local retailers is the Folkart Pearlizing Medium. Simply add one 2oz. bottle to the quart of polyurethane and stir well. If this is of interest then let me know and I will provide more details and application instructions.

16. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

It is very important to stir the polyurethane very well with a drill attachment. There are flattening agents in the polyurethane that settle out to the bottom of the can. If you do not stir it well then it will not be a matte finish and you wil get hot spotting problems.

17. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

Inspector, does it have to be a painted screen? I've been happily running an X1 with plain blackout cloth stretched over a homemade screen for 3+ years. I've got samples from Dalite and Carada that I've never been motivated enough to take them time to compare against the BO cloth.

I'd also take a look at the laminate screen threads while you're at AVS. I'm interested in trying the Wilsonart DW material myself. Someone's measurements showed it to be 1.2 to 1.4 gain on axis, IIRC.

-Brent

18. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

I need one more post to start showing you screen shots.

19. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

20. tiddler

tiddler Auditioning

Now for a picture of poly over "Silver Screen":

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Notice how much brighter the right half is. The screen behind the test panel is a near neutral gray with a ploy top coat.