Best Outdoor Speakers under $400

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Michael De Costa, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

I am currently looking to set up outdoor speakers and am I am currently looking to set up outdoor speakers and am lost in regards to those companies that make a good quality speaker that can stand up to the elements and sound great at the same time. Any recommendations? I would like to stay under $400 for the pair, even lower if possible. Thanks for any advice....

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I'm using some NHT Outdoor Ones. Great sound, great bass, highly recommend for a listen if you can. Retail is $400/pr. I believe.

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I heard some Polk Atriums a few weeks ago and they sounded good. I have seen them on Ebay for $120-$160 brand new.

4. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

what about rockoustics? those are the speakers that are actually built into what looks like a rock, and are extremely durable too. how they sound though, is a mystery to me.

5. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Michael,

If you haven't already, you might want to pick up the latest issue of Sound & Vision. They have a write-up and product listing on outdoor speakers. May be a good starting point.

6. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

I have a set of Rockustic Planter speakers enroute to me as I type..

[​IMG]

Once I get them wired up..I'll give you my impressions..

7. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

If you like bass, I'd get JBL N26AW or JBL S36AW. ~$300 per pair or more. (Plus wall mount brackets)

If you like high sensitive, loud clean sound with little bass then I'd get the MTX Model MP42W for about $200 for a pair. You could also get the larger model. These produce impressive clear sound and are slim designed to fit under the eaves of the house.

If you'd like your backyard to have ambient music that envelopes the entire backyard then I'd get omnipolar speakers such as the TIC landscape ones. One drawback is that when you crank them loud, there is a slight boom to them.

Personally i'm not a fan of rock speakers because the ones that are directional are usually attention grabbers. I don't mind the rockustic omnipolar ones as they sound similar to the omnipolar green landscape speakers. Good sound, but nothing to be critically listening to.

8. Tom_Link

Tom_Link Auditioning

Michael,

I recently purchased a pair of NHT Outdoor Ones and have been very impressed. These are specifically designed for outdoor listening in that they have an enhanced low end to compensate for the wide open environment of the outdoors. I had the best results placing them on my deck perimeter and pointing back towards the house. Used the Home Depot 12 guage low voltage lighting wire (Cheap!). I got mine at brandnamez.com for $300/pr.

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Hey Michael,

I can also highly recommend the NHT OutdoorOne. I got mine at 6th Ave for under $200/pair a couple years back. I think the OutdoorOnes sound slghtly better than my SuperOne Xu. The large JBL would also be a good choice. A 6.5" woofer along with placement near a wall or deck boundary helps with bass reproduction outdoors.

10. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

Sorry guys..the Rockustics auction turned out to be a scam..Seller took the cash and never sent the speakers..Luckily Paypal was able to recover about 80% of the payment from the sellers account. I then bought a new set of JBL N26AW's from the B/S/T forum here on HTF

[​IMG]