What's new

Best or very good region free blu ray player?? (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
Oppo blu ray player is one way to go. You will need a special Mod to play other region blu rays. There should be a hack code for DVD playback.
Not really a "hack code" (that got broken with firmware upgrades a long time ago), but there is a download called "SuperDisk" (do a google search with Superdisk and Oppo in the name, as I'm not sure if I'm allowed to put the link here or not) if all you need out of an Oppo is region-free for DVD (or if you don't want to use a mod for it).
I'd never even heard of it until Oppo Service told me about it when I was troubleshooting my hardware mod against a difficult-to-play region 2 DVD (turned out my issue was fixed with a player firmware update).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I know Oppo is highly recommended for multi region blu ray.
Is there another player on the market that could easily have an add on mod to make it region free? Essentially could I do the work myself or buy the add on and have it installed easily?
I'm thinking of the Oppo mod add on which just plugs into one of the ports.
I'd like to pick up the Oppo, but the $500 price tag is a bit hard to swallow at the moment. Plus the mod cost on top of that..
I see the LG BD640 is around $200. That may be the best way to go. I saw 220 Electronics guarantees the region free as well.
If I had a proper AC converter, this player would work on my tv to play blu rays from Region B..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMP-BD75EB-K-Booting-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/tech-data/B004MPQR4M/ref=de_a_smtd
Or would I have another issue on playback?

ddeerr

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
good
g.gif

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
This is probably the best place to ask:
I currently use my PS3 as my BD player, but the fan noise is noticeably loud during BD playback, so I'm looking into getting a player strictly for BDs and DVDs. What I'm looking for is a player that will let me watch my PAL/other region concert DVDs that my current Toshiba player allows me to enjoy (these are often bonus discs that come with special edition CDs from bands I like). I don't necessarily "need" region-free as far as BDs go, just the DVDs. I'd really rather not go the "mod" route, as that seems a bit "shady" and "warranty voidin'" for my liking. Is this just a pipe dream?
It confuses me because I've seen listings for players that will play all types of BD discs but NOT DVDs...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I have put off making a decision about a region free blu ray player. I'm still weighing out options. The only UK blu ray set I really want at this point is The Persuaders! series. I think there are only 3 possible options at this point. 1. Find a mod blu ray player. Not sure which brand though. I looked at the 220 Electronics website a bit. I would really like to find a player under $100. Even less would be great too. 2. Find an existing blu ray player in the US market which is region free. I don't think there are any options with this one? It seems most that were region free for blu ray have been discontinued or are no longer available? or 3. Purchase a UK blu ray player from Amazon UK and then use a power converter for the AC differences? Not sure on the cost but this might make a lot of sense. I don't know if there are other factors in doing this however. Would appreciate any advice! At this point cost is the biggest factor for me. I have an Oppo DVD player for region free DVD playback. I appreciate the help, recommendations and / or insight. Thanks!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
I have put off making a decision about a region free blu ray player. I'm still weighing out options. The only UK blu ray set I really want at this point is The Persuaders! series. I think there are only 3 possible options at this point. 1. Find a mod blu ray player. Not sure which brand though. I looked at the 220 Electronics website a bit. I would really like to find a player under $100. Even less would be great too. 2. Find an existing blu ray player in the US market which is region free. I don't think there are any options with this one? It seems most that were region free for blu ray have been discontinued or are no longer available? or 3. Purchase a UK blu ray player from Amazon UK and then use a power converter for the AC differences? Not sure on the cost but this might make a lot of sense. I don't know if there are other factors in doing this however. Would appreciate any advice! At this point cost is the biggest factor for me. I have an Oppo DVD player for region free DVD playback. I appreciate the help, recommendations and / or insight. Thanks!
Another option for you would be to buy one from somewhere like World Gift Center (world-import.com) or 220 electronics (220-electronics.com). They have region-free players that work with US electrical systems (no power converters required) for reasonable prices. My boss at work bought an LG one from 220 for a very reasonable price.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
AndyMcKinney said:
Another option for you would be to buy one from somewhere like World Gift Center (world-import.com) or 220 electronics (220-electronics.com). They have region-free players that work with US electrical systems (no power converters required) for reasonable prices. My boss at work bought an LG one from 220 for a very reasonable price.
Right. I looked at their site a bit. I am wondering if for the cost it would / could be better to go another route. There's quite an upcharge for the players from 220 electronics. I'd like to find a player for less than $100 that can play Region B blu ray discs.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
I'd like to find a player for less than $100 that can play Region B blu ray discs.
Good luck, especially if you want to find one that isn't Region-B "locked", in which case you'd have to have separate Region-A and Region-B players. If you end up going that route and decide you need to purchase a power converter, you could be getting into the same price category as those sub-$200 models at the World Gift/220v stores.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You could also buy an external BD drive for a computer and lock it on B. You can pick those up for under $100. Does you computer have HDMI/DVI?

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
AndyMcKinney said:
Good luck, especially if you want to find one that isn't Region-B "locked", in which case you'd have to have separate Region-A and Region-B players. If you end up going that route and decide you need to purchase a power converter, you could be getting into the same price category as those sub-$200 models at the World Gift/220v stores.
Understood. I saw some retailers had a mod player for around $150. I think it's just a matter of number of titles that I would use the player for at this point. The Persuaders is the only Region B blu ray set that I am interested in. I have the series on DVD, but would like to have it on blu ray. I'm also hoping network is bringing The Saint to blu ray soon too. Anyway. I'll continue to wait, but thought it was good to ask again. If I can find something that will work for less than $100 that would be great. I'm really not interested in the PC route. I only have a Mac computer.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I looks like 200 has a Toshiba bd player for $99. That will work! Is there a good US site for buying Region B blu rays? I'm trying to find a good price on The Persuaders blu ray set. Thanks! I also am interested in selling my Region 2 UK Network set of The Persuaders. Is there a good place here in the US for selling or trading?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I buy all my most of my DVD from Davadee and Eurocinema on Amazon or Ebay. Occasionally I'll order directly from Amazon.UK/DE/Spain.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Question. Hypothetically can a file to update a blu ray player to region free blu ray playback be downloaded. Has anyone been successful in going this route? Thanks.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
I Is there a good US site for buying Region B blu rays? I'm trying to find a good price on The Persuaders blu ray set.
Not that I'm aware of. IMO, your best overall bet it amazon.co.uk. Prices and shipping are reasonable, and just before you make the order final, they deduct VAT from the price.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
Question. Hypothetically can a file to update a blu ray player to region free blu ray playback be downloaded. Has anyone been successful in going this route?
There is a file out there for several models called SuperDisk, but it only makes certain players region-free for DVD playback. If you want it for blu-ray, hardware mods are still about the only way you can go.

Mecbethben

Auditioning
Real Name
Mecbethben
As I know, the good region free blu-ray player is not just restricted to the hardware players. There exists some Blu-ray Player Software available such as Macgo Mac Blu-ray Player. With the help of a external drive, you could enjoy the Blu-ray movies on both Mac and Windows

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Bringing this one back..

So do all lg blu Ray players allow you to change the region to watch any blu Ray disc?

For panasonic US blu Ray players, what labels locked to other regions will play on a region 1 blu Ray player? I saw online it may be as simple as pressing pop up menu or stop then the pop up menu to play other region discs.

I am most curious about network and studio canal blu Rays working on panasonic region 1 blu Ray players.

Thanks!!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Osato said:
Bringing this one back..
So do all lg blu Ray players allow you to change the region to watch any blu Ray disc?
No, you would need one that's been modified for region free playback.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Peter Apruzzese said:
No, you would need one that's been modified for region free playback.

Saw this online last night. Do all lg blu Ray players have this feature?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Some BD players (mostly Panny and LG) have the ability to default to the main disc menu.

It is not universal to all discs, nor all the players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks