What's new

Best options for used 2-ch amp $500 or less? (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Another amp to consider is the Aragon 8002; retail 1600, might go for about 500 used. Same circuitry as the bigger 8008 amps.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Ricky has compiled a nice amp data spreadsheet, I hosted them again so you can look them over..just click on my pics link and scroll to the bottom.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Yeah , somebody paid too much...1 feedback too, I bet he does not follow thru.

Dont forget that Ebay is primarily a sellers market, a good portion of the items are selling for too much.

The main thing is choose carefully what auctions to bid in then only pay as much as youd like to pay and not a penny more.

Search Audiogon too.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
The difference between the NAD c270 and c370 is that the c370 is an integrated amp, meaning it has it a built in preamp. The c270 is a straight up 2 channel amp.

I bought a c370 from them in Feb. I loved it so much I bought a c270 and c541i cd player also. :D I would not hesitate to buy from them again, and for NAD equipment I wouldn't consider anyone else.

As far as the warranty, they are a NAD authorized dealer, meaning it gets the same warranty as you would get from a local dealer. IIRC, the Manuf. warraty is 2 years.

Saturday audio is located in chicago. If you're closer to california you may want to goto yawaonline.com to save on shipping. I don't know if they have any c270's left, but I do know they will price match as best they can.

Edit:
FWIW, the nad c370 was just discontinued from NAD when I was looking for one. When called NAD and asked where I might find one, they asked for my location then directed me to saturday audio.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
QUOTE:
"Another amp to consider is the Aragon 8002; retail 1600, might go for about 500 used. Same circuitry as the bigger 8008 amps."

Ricky, I heard Aragon are supposed to be awesome amps, that sounds great...if you see any please let me know!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It’s a completely different design from the 555, but has a comparable power rating. Don’t know anything about it, but $500 new sounds pretty good. I think list for the 555II was $800.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Besides Aragon, look for the nice old school Acurus A200x3.

Looks to fit your bill at about $500 on Agon.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit

Well the GFA-5500 actually sells at onecall for $1200, I checked out some reviews on audioreview.com and they are very good. One guy said it was superior to the 555II which he had beforehand -so it seems its a pretty darned good deal!

I am still very interested in that Aragon amp though b/c the 8002 has awesome reviews on audioreview.com and they all come from "Audiphiles" who have used top amps....

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
I am actually leaning back towards the NAD now. B/c it's so cheap, brand new, and its got awesome reviews and is supposed to be very smooth sounding for a solid state amp which is what I am looking for as oppsed to a more forward brighter sound - which I have heard that Acurus called a few times... but good suggestion nonetheless Felix

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Id take the 5500 over a NAD amp..no offense to NAD owners but I just dont care for NAD amps.

If you can get a new 5500 for $500 then go for that one..I doubt youll be unhappy with it.

Still though, HCA-1500As pop up all the time..id wait for one.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
I'm surprised to hear that. The NAD C270 has all glowing reviews on audioreview.com(4.74 out of 5, granted a lot less reviews at only 19 compared to the adcom)and also a couple rave professional reviews too.

I can get the Adcom 5500 new for $550 shipped, (awesome price being that it goes for $1200 nat onecall)but the thing that made me a little leary was that although it overall has a pretty good score (58 reviews 4.21 out of 5 - but its kinda skewed b/c for some reason several positive reviews were posted many times [the same one]), there was quite a few negative comments/reviews. I will post some examples from different people:

(1) "Sounds dead. No oomph."

(2)"runs hot,2-plus hour long
warm-up.Springy power switch creeps me out
every time I turn it on(but it has worked
all these years knock-on-wood)
Chassis and heat-sinking seem to be where Adcom cut building cost,put it on really solid surface."

(3) "Slightly Grainy Midrange"

(4)"Weaknesses:
Clarity and separation"

(5) "I've listened to this amp drive a number of different pairs of speakers and I just don't like it. It doesn't sound natural. It's very clear, but it's so punchy that I can't stand to listen to it for more than a few minutes. I like punchy bass in some forms of music, but it seems that different voices are somehow put out of proportion by this amplifier. I've noticed that all the rhythmic voices are too loud and punchy. I'd much rather have a Classe or even a nice Denon."

So the NAD $600 amp for $379 new or the GFA-5500 $1200 amp for $500 new... hmmm....

OR hold out for a reply an on the Aragon 8002 or wait for an Parasound 1500A....evern more hmmmm....

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Let me know what you guys think of this deal (please)

Parasound HCA-1500A Amp (retails $1k) & pl/d 1100 preamp (retails $850) Both items were purchased new in March of 2001 from an authorized Parasound dealer and include original double boxes and manuals.

Also included is:

-1-meter Transparent Audio interconnect to connect the amp and pre-amp (cost $80)

-2 sets of vibrapods (cost $48)

Price for all is $625 not including shipping.

Now, I think this is a good deal as this stuff is only 3 years old with an oiriginal retail of about $2k Also, I have seen many pictures of evrething which he emailed me and everything looks new. I also definitely trust the guy as he is very thorough and professional.

Now here is my big concern - my big concern is that Parasounds warranties are not transferable which is a shame being these units have 7 years left in the warranty. Would I be better off getting something with a warranty or do you guys think its a great deal and I should go for it?

I'd like to get back to the guy asap as I have first dibs at this point, i just don't want to make a mistake

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Parasound has great service and will still glady service your HCA-1500A if something should happen to it...it may not be free but they wont bent you over.
Its also possible that they will fix it for free.
Get the guys original reciept if he has it.

I just sent my 1500A into Parasound this morning..last night I was moving around some components and I bumped the 1500As plug and broke the cheap cheater plug I was using...stupid me I pulled on the socket with the power on and the crossed..possibly hitting the ground but I am not sure. All I know is I heard a loud bang from the 1500A and I smelled burning electrical. Anyhow at least I am alive to tell about it!
I was honest with Parasound and they told me to send it in for a look over even though the amp still works.
I emailed tech support last night and had a response at 8am...at Noon I got an RMA # and sent it in.

I used to have a pair of Parasound HCA-1201A monoblocks that I bought second hand...I thought I had a problem with them when I first bought them, I told Parasound I was not the original owner and they told me that if there was a problem with them amps that theyd likely fix them at no cost.
Now I have heard of others being charged so its hard to say wether or not youll get charged.. at least you know that you can get it fixed if it ever needs it.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
A few more things..I scratched the face on my 1500A 2 days after I bought it, I was pissed! Parasound glady sold me a new face and let me put it on myself. It was $50.

Also I have heard that Parasound will sell you amp parts and let you install them yourself!

Hell I called QSC and asked about something one time and asked if I should look inside and the tech made it clear that my warranty would be at risk if I opened it up.

I can't say I blame QSC because there are some dopes out there but on the other hand I appreciate a company letting me do my own work if I choose to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks