Best options for used 2-ch amp $500 or less?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Breeze, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

First off my intentions here is to make my 2-ch experience even more rewarding than it has been. Personally I am 90% happy with the way it sounds just from my HK AVR-7000 (although its currently in the shop), but I'd like to step it up to the next level as I LOVE listening to music. First I purchased a better CD player and now I am looking for a quality 2-ch amp (on a budget).

I was eyeing up Parasound HCA 1000A or 1500A amps as I have heard they are awesome amps for the $$. For example, last night a Parasound 1000A sold on ebay for $260 and it was described and looked to be in like new condition. This is obviously quite cheap for what is supposed to be a quality 2-ch amp.

So on to my question: I am pretty much new to the seperate game, so I am not aware if there are other equal or even better options to look for in that price range.

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

You can't go wrong with the 1500A , a 2200II went for $430 about a week ago so patience can pay off if your willing to wait.

The 1500A is really class A biased and you'll know it because it runs hot even at an idle...the first couple of watts out of it are sweet! Very detailed yet not bright or harsh.

I bought my 1500A from Audio Advisor, they get B stock units in every once in awhile and they sell for $650 but if you call and bargain with them you can get it down abit more.
    The nice thing about buying from them is they are authorized so you get your 10 year warranty.

2 B&K 4430s went for $500 each yesterday..they are 3 channel amps rated @ 200wpc...I was surprised nobody else bid. I dont think B&K are as good as Parasound but not bad..I used to own a B&K and thought it was a little bit on the muddy sounding side but still it sounded better than the amp in the Denon AVR 3300 receiver I had at the time.

3. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the onkyo m-282. It is a good 2 ch amp and at a great price + thx certified (i think). I prefer to buy new due to warranty and all. :b

4. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

It would be nice to have a 3-ch amp actually so I could use all 3 ch for wathcing movies and than just have the reciver power the rears. This way the front sound stage would be equal.

When wathcing movies, it won't sound weird that the L/R are powered by the external amp while the center is powered by rhe receiver will it?

those B&K's sounded like a great price, but if parasound is better I'd rather stick with them. Do they make any 3-ch amps?

Gabriela, thanks for the suggestion, I'm not familiar with that amp but i will check it out. I just want to make sure the amp I buy is a big enough improvement over my AVR7000's internal amps (which are very respectable for a receiver) to make it worth it...

5. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Adding better amps to home theater preamps will help music somewhat but the HT preamp will always be the limiter to how good music will sound.

Some HT preamps are better. Marantz is one and Cambridge Audio, NAD and Rotel all make HT preamps that will be better than most mass market HT receivers.

6. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Not at all. I'd make sure you recalibrate your speaker levels and that's about it. I use an Acurus A-150 (150WPC) amp I picked up on audiogon for $280 shipped a while back for my mains and good deals can still be found on these amps which were done by Mondial, bought by Klipsch, and discontinued so as not to compete with their Aragon line of amps. Very nuetral amps.

7. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

8. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Aaron, thats a good deal on a new amp. its highly rated on audioreview.com too. The one thing I don't understand is the difference between that amp and the C370...is it just that the 370 has a remote with it? From what I understand its the 370 that actually retails at $699 and the 270's retail at $599, at least according to a review I read....

Here is a pretty good deal that just went down on ebay for an Atlantic technolgies A-2000 7-ch amp which I believe is an Outlaw clone, and it retails for $1299, and this unit went for $510 brand new. it just had some cosmetic damage

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEDW:IT

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

For $500 you could get one of the older B&K Sonata's 200W/ch amps that are an unbeatable value for musical amps.

10. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thanks, but how old are we talking Yogi? According to james, he had both a B&K and parasound and he said the parasounds were better....

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It boils down to preference. I have had them both also and prefered the B&K over Parasound. B&K has a more midrange bloom and bottom end slam compared to Parasound to my ears while they both are about as sweet on the top end.

12. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

thats true Yogi, thanks for your impression of the two.

Any input on HAFLER amps by any chance? are these more for Djing as opposed to Home amps. In particular I am curious about the Hafler P7000. it retails for like $1300 but I have seen some good deals on them..

13. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

BTW the early 90's B&K Sonatas go for less than $500 on A'gon

14. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Hmm, I am not that great in the memory dept, but I could have sworn you already said that??

15. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

I just bought the NAD 320BEE integrated and it rocks at only 50wpc. Damping factor of >160! The tightest bass I've had so far and that includes my ex-200wpc Phase Linear. At the price I'd be tempted to try the C270 also. [​IMG]
    I guarantee you there's no sonic difference in the C270 vs C370. The difference is in features you may not need.

16. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

what warranty comes with the C270 by the way, that Saturday Audio ad mentioned nothing of a warranty...

17. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I have a pair of 250-watt Adcom GFA-555 II’s that I picked up a pawnshop for $325 each. They seem to get higher prices than that on eBay, though.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

18. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Thats funny you mention that I was just checking one out on ebay....reviews on that seem to be pretty good, but it is an older unit...

19. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Built like a tank – huge heat fins! I’d buy another one in a heartbeat. I especially like the relatively small footprint they have compared to similar amps – great if your shelving is shallow.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

20. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Forgot to mention, I'm using one of them for my two 4-ohm subs, and with the drastic EQ I'm using it gets a workout on bombastic action flicks. Hasn't given me a moment's trouble in eight years. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.