Best options for lack of front AV inputs??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Fa, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Happy New Year all!
    If I decide on the 3803 over the 45tx one issue could be the lack of front inputs on the Denon. I have inputs on the front of my current TV so I could connect my digital or video cameras directly to it for display, but I might like to be able to input audio or possibly video through the receiver. Is there something in the HT AV world like the USB hub that I have for my PC that allows me to connect input devices to to it without having to get around to the backside? If so, who makes them, are they quality (lack of signal degradation/interference) devices and what has been your experience with them???
    Thanks for your input!

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Many AV recievers/ switchers have front inputs

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you have an open A/V port on the back, just run a set of short "extension" cables to the front to allow you to hook up to. OR, you could consider other brands that DO have inputs, as the less than informative previous post points out. Consider the Marantz SR7300 which has optical dig, S-vid, composite vid and stereo analog on the front.

If we are talking about composite/stereo analog only, you can get an inexpensive A/V switch from Radio Shack.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

You should be able to set up your TV to send a line level output to the receiver, then send the output to an analog L/R input on the receiver like CD or Tape. That's what I do and it works just fine. My old pre/pro and older receiver both had A/V inputs on the front, my new one does not.

5. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

John and Philip,
    Thanks for the info, I had considered the 'short cable around the side/over the top' option, but thought it a little messy/less then elegant. I'll look into the option you suggested Philip, but those inputs may already be being used when I get everything all set up. I was thinking composite/S-video out of laptops,PDA's, Rio's and cameras and had hoped that someone might make a higher than Rshack quality switch/hub. I was seriously considering the 7300, but liked the greater number of in/outputs and other features of the Denon. The 45tx is a very close competitor, but I might be able to get the Denon for $200 less.
    Grant - looks like things haven't changed much up in the 'Haight'! Got the munchies now????[​IMG] [​IMG] Just Kidding!

6. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

Phillip, wouldn't you have to have your TV input selector to that input on your TV in order to get those TV inputs to send the line level output to the reciever? This would negate one of the 3803's strongest advantage of not having to change the inputs on the TV, even when using multiple forms of video (composite, S-video, component) because of the upconversion feature of the Denon 3803. If I am misunderstanding you, please explain more.

I will be doing what John suggested. I know it won't be the most attractive thing in the world, but you can always tuck the cables somewhere out of sight until needed. I would only need a 1 meter extension for L/R and S-video for the time being so that I can look at my digicamcorder. Come to think of it...I could just connect the cable to the back of the receiver and leave it there. Then pull it out when I need to plug in the camera.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor