Best option

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee_eel, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Apologies if this topic has been covered already.

I am a little puzzled at the moment about which display technology to go for. (I want at least 40 inch screen). I would be using the screen to watch DVD mostly. I have read about Rear-Projection and Plasma but there seems to be so many conflicting reports of these technologies. A friend of mine recently bought a Plasma (Phillips) and although i didn't mention it at the time, the picture looked blotchy to me. I admit that Plasma screens look awesome when hanging from a wall and from a distance the picture looks amazing. But move to within three or four feet and the picture becomes a little less impressive. What i really wan't to know is will Plasma ever become the top choice for Home Cinema or is the technology as good as its going to get?
    I would appreciate any advice on this topic (especially from Plasma tv owners please!)

2. Corey Holter

Corey Holter Agent

I think the plasma is a great choice for home theater, particularly if you have other considerations such as asthetics, ambient light, etc. I compared plasma to RPTV (Pioneer Elite) and went for a 42" Panasonic plasma. I've been very happy.
    With regard to the Philips, it is known to be a pretty bad picture. Panasonic, Pioneer, and Fujitsu are probably the market leaders (I forgot - NEC as well).
    With regard to pixel structure - two things: first, do you ever watch TV at a three foot viewing distance? No, and from normal viewing distance 6" and beyond, you cannot notice the pixel structure on my 42". Panasonic and Pioneer have both come out with a 42/43 inch plasma with even better resolution (ie smaller pixels). While this is obviously better for HD TV, it is worse for NTSC signals (garbage-in; garbage out).
    Check out www.avsforum.com for a VERY active plasma forum.

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

For the difference in price, the only way I'd bother with a plasma set is if you think it looks cool in the living room or if you need the extra space it saves. Otherwise, a good rear-projection is at least as good if not better, and the price difference would let you buy another TV or two for the other rooms in the house.

Plasma might someday become the TV of choice, but I doubt it will be anytime soon.

4. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Thanks for that guys. I thought that Rear projection was poor though. Is there a model that comes close to cinema picture quality or am i being silly now?

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I dont know about you Lee, but I personally perfer the picture quality on my Direct View HDTV to what i see in the Theaters... the picture is just alot bigger in the theaters, but hey at home i sit 6 feet from my 36" so it works for me.

personally i feel that if you want the best picture quality go with a direct view set. but then i also know nothing about front projectors, so i cant comment on them.

6. WilliamC

WilliamC Stunt Coordinator

I recently ran into the same problem on whether to get a plasma or a RPTV. After seeing the Pioneer Elite 520-HD I decided to go with the 520-HD (RPTV) instead of the plasma because it made the panasonic look like crap in all areas.
    However if you decide to go with plasma go with a panasonic, nec, or a pioneer anyother set won't produce pure rich black levels. Pioneer plasma would be your best bet because of its picture but you will end up paying for it.

7. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Buy a decent RPTV and get it ISF calibrated by Gregg, who has a nice link on the top of this page. You will get what you're looking for.

(My disclaimer: I am friends with gregg. However, my TV is also calibrated by Gregg.)