What's new

Best (Onkyo SKS-HT510?) speaker set (1 Viewer)

Matt_Dieckman

Auditioning
Hello all:

Obviously, I am new to these forums, and I would like the thank everyone in advance for any help I receive.

So, here are are my questions:

I bought a Yamaha 5740 receiver, and I was wondering if an Onkyo SKS-HT510 speaker package would be the best choice to go with my receiver?

Is there anything better that I could get for the same price of $200?

-edit- JBL SCS-136SI or Onkyo set or Yamaha NSP-436 ???

And if I bought those speakers would I run into any problems w/ them being different brands? (yes I'm a newb when it comes to anything other than HTiB ;) )

Thanks!

-Matt

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Matt,

Look around & see if you cant get it cheaper than $200.00.
That seems high to me.

Cant tell ya it would be the best choice, although for
$150.00 or so with the sub included, you could do
ALOT worse.

No problem with the different brands.

Matt_Dieckman

Auditioning
Well...I looked around on sites like epinions and pricegrabber, and 200 was the lowest I could find. Is there any other place I should be looking?

Also, I saw the JBL SCS-136SI 6.1 set, and I found them for 230 shipped or so. Should I just spend 30 more dollars and pick those up?

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Its a shame, cause you can get the whole Onkyo
HT-S660 from Fry's for $299.00.

They used to sell just the speakers as well & I would
swear I saw them for ~$149.00.

EDIT: I know nothing about the JBL SCS-136SI, sorry.

Matt_Dieckman

Auditioning
Well...they might sell them at frys for that price, but I don't have a frys anywhere close to me. Only best buy and circuit city. CC has them for 199, so if I get them...I'll buy them there and hope for a sale. But, first I need to decide which is better...the JBL or the Onkyo? :)

Oh...just saw your edit. Thanks. Anyone else?

Matt_Dieckman

Auditioning
Yeah...the only problem with those though is that they don't include the sub(which I would have to purchase), and I would have to buy an addition speaker to get 6.1, correct?

Plus...I really can't go too much over 200 (unfortunately...)

TimZ

Agent
I have that set actually. frys had them on for $179.99 here once when they had a 100 instant rebate. They work great ( absolutely terrific for the pricee ) i purchased another surround back speaker from onkyo direct to make it a 7.1. To set them up with my new denon 3805 and everything runs smooth. (and yes i know this receiver is way to much for these speakers but i am planning on upgrgading the speakers and keeping the receiver for a longer peroid of time )

Yes it does come with a Sub too. the sub is decent for a small - medium room home theater. 150w powered 8" sub.

The SKS-HT510 is 6.1 ( should be the same or little higher price thats what i got at frys )
the HT500 is 5.1.

www.bestdigitalonline.com/onskhosp.html

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...mail,ECOSTCNET

buy the ecost ones for $80 for the 6.1 ( with the sub ) and they are factory refurbished. almost can't beat that without stealing them.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I had the 510 set for my first set of speakers...paid $179 and its an awesome deal for a starter system. Ubid.com sometimes has some deals on new and refurbished Onkyo stuff.

Also, I think the 660 HTIB set has smaller speakers...I think the fronts only have one woofer instead of the two found in the fronts of the 510 set (which I believe is the set from the model 760 HTIB).

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
If you can return the 5740 then you can do so and go to BB and buy the Yamaha HTiB that includes the 5740 along w/ some nice Yamaha speakers.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
According to Onkyo's web site, the fronts of the 660 do have two 5 1/4" drivers but the cabinet is a little smaller. BTW, I bought the HT-500 5.1 set at Fry's last summer for $129! With a powered sub included, the Onkyo systems are impossible to beat in the under $200 price range.

Matt_Dieckman

Auditioning
Okay...so I should get that Onkyo set, and not the JBL SCS-136SI, or Yamaha NSP-436 set?

Also--can't return the receiver as I ordered it on-line.

And the ecost deal actually isn't very much of a deal. They charge 100 something dollars for shipping, and I would rather pay 30 more dollars for something that is new, and something I don't have to worrying about getting (ecost is pretty shady according to some of the reviews I saw on epinions).

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Matt,

For what its worth, I was thinking about the
HT-"500" 5.1 set of speakers....so, you might
not be able to beat the $200.00 for the
set you were talking about.

I say go for it.....

$185.00 including shipping from ecost.

- Cam

Matt_Dieckman

Auditioning
Alright...thanks for all the help! I will be buying those then. :) I'll update everyone when I get everything early next week.

Lol...I was just looking at slickdeals.net and I missed a deal yesterday for the Onkyo SKS-HT510 for 179.00 shipped. Guess it didn't last very long.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Chuck my friend, you are absolutly right (I'm so embarrassed :b). What was I thinking?. Oh well. Anyway, Fry's has the 6.1 speaker set on sale for today only for $129. On closeout, no rainchecks. Sorry for mentioning this to those who have no Fry's nearby. Good deal at $199. But at $129 it can't be beat.

Matt_Dieckman

Auditioning
I wish I had a frys near me! I bought the speakers up today at CC for 199, but I have to drive to another store to pick them up which I'm going to do monday.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor

Dang Matt, I guess you work weekends, cause I would
have already been half way back from the other store..:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks