Best On-Screen Slap Is....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Sep 14, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

This is a poll to discuss and vote on what you think is the #1 "slap in the face" in motion picture history. (Open-hand slap that is....a "punch" is not to be included). [​IMG]
    Let us know why you think your particular whack across the puss is the best.
    The "best smack" award can be based on a variety of criteria. For example, a slap could be great because "that S.O.B. really had it coming". Or, it had a nice, crisp sound to it. Then there's the "I didn't expect that one" slap. You might have thoroughly enjoyed seeing someone getting swatted for the surprise factor alone. [​IMG]
    I'm ashamed to admit that my vote for "#1 slap" is within a movie that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of. But I can visualize it now! A highly-rewatchable moment! I can't even recall who the slapper & slap-ee were! It's driving me nuts. I'm hoping somebody lists it below. [​IMG]
    Runners-up would include: Tippi Hedren smacks the hysterical lady in the diner in The Birds, after the woman claims Tippi is "Evil! Evvvvilllll!!"
    Cher executed a nice screen smack in Moonstruck, with Nicolas Cage on the receiving end.
    If you'd like to include TV slaps as well, feel free.
    Larry Hagman and Linda Gray should be recognized for swatting each other silly in various episodes of Dallas.
    Hit me with your best shot. [​IMG]

2. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

The one that immediately comes to mind is Vivien Leigh slapping Clark Gable in Gone With The Wind. It just seemed like there was a lot of passion in that slap!

3. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

If you're including TV, then the slap fight (concluding with the mutual nose pinch) between Sam Malone and Diane Chambers on Cheers should rank pretty high.
    There's also the hysterical woman in Airplane! who has passengers lining up to slap her.
    And I'll never forget that one time when Moe slapped Larry... never saw that coming. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Brad

4. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

How about the fish slap skit from Monty Python.

5. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The slap in Doctor Zhivago. Shows how much of a scumbag Komorosvki is...

7. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Good one, Patrick! [​IMG]
    Hey....what film(s) did Bette Davis get off a good power swat? Surely, she slapped a few actors in her Jezebel-ian days! [​IMG]

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I like the one in Father Goose where Leslie Caron slaps Cary Grant and he slaps her right back. So she slaps him again and he slaps her right back. Someone mentioned Cheers, which may have been similar, but Father Goose beat em to it by 20 years.

9. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

SPOILERS...
    Ace in the Hole (a.k.a. The Big Carnival): Kirk Douglas rebuts Jan Sterling's flirtatious advances with a vicious forehand and backhand to both cheeks ("I've seen some hardboiled eggs in my time, but you--you're twenty minutes.").
    Stalag 17: William Holden gives it to Peter Graves pretty good at a particularly choice moment (13 takes worth!).
    Star Trek: OS, Episode "Plato's Stepchildren": William Shatner slaps himself silly, thus fulfilling the gleefully sadistic fantasy of millions of television viewers. [​IMG]

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Reese Witherspoon slapped future hubby Ryan Phillippe pretty good in Cruel Intentions. Supposedly she did it for real.

I remember another one where somebody really got slobberknocked by a slap, also for real. The reaction was priceless. I just can't remember what it was in.

11. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I like Sissy Spacek slapping Marisa Tomei in "In the Bedroom". I remember Sissy saying somewhere how difficult it must have been for Marisa, knowing it was coming and not flinching with the expectation. Nice genuine slap that said all that was necessary for that scene.

12. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

13. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

14. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Sidney Poitier slapping the racist dickhead back in In the Heat of the Night is my favorite.

15. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Vickie has it right. I kept on trying to think of a great slap that my family and I had enjoyed in the last couple of months. We just kept replaying the scene over and over, but it didn't come to mind until Vickie posted it.

Portier's slap was great, especially in the context of the deep Southern setting it was supposed to be taking place in.

16. Art Martinez

Art Martinez Stunt Coordinator

I gotta go with Gary Oldman, slapping Harrison Ford in "Air Force One", I like the Minnie Driver slap to John Cusack in "Grosse Pointe Blank", right before they make out at the reunion.

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Although it was far from a perfect movie, Sgt. Bilko had one very funny slap scene. Bilko stands his bride to be up (one of many times he's stood her up) and they are arguing in front of the church. He's wearing sunglasses and she moves to slap him. In one quick movement he removes the sunglasses, gets slapped, and puts them back on. Very good timing and very funny.

18. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Raiders of the Lost Ark - Indy hooks up with his old girlfriend in a bar she runs - she is drunk, and slaps him hard. Seething, she says "that's for making me love you."

19. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Looks like Harrison Ford leads in the cheek-rubbing department....with two wallops received in the most recent posts above. (I still like you, Harrison! [​IMG] )

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Lea Thompson lays a fantastic double-slap on Craig Sheffer at the end of Some Kind of Wonderful.