Best of two bad options(placement question)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricSm, Feb 10, 2003.

1. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

I need to mount my rear speakers and with the way the room is setup, I have the couch flush with the wall that has the door. That's fine except when you are trying to place a rear speaker. I want to mount the speakers high, and to the side, but the door opening into the room gets in the way. As it is, I have to either put the rear right speaker high enough so that the door won't hit it and angle the speaker down. Or, put it just past where the door would hit, but somewhat in front of the listening postion. You can see where both options are kind of not great. I know "high and to the side" is recommended, but I don't think they meant putting it near the roof [​IMG] It's a satellite speaker so it will fit almost anywhere. For asthetic reasons I really do want to mount them, but the other option would be end tables next to the furniture. In which case they would be a little below listening level, and right next to me. Not much spacing. Which of these *sweet* options would you choose?

2. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

Why not take the door off the hinges and reverse the door swing? If it opens into the room, make it open out.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Eric,

Go ahead and mount it above the door, and aim it at the listening area. Mount the one on the left to the same height and angle. I have mine high and to the rear – about 9ft. high - and it works fine.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

Here's what I did in a sorta similar situation. I have a small room with the couch near the back wall, and a door like yours to one side where the surround should be. I put my surround right in front so the door just misses it, just like one of your suggestions, and a littel higher than the listening position (at the standard recommended height for surrounds). I think this is better than way high above the door, especially when there are direct sounds coming from the surrounds, such a spaceship panning front to back or vice-versa, or even more importantly for DVD-Audio or other audio discs. It sounds a bit weird (and distracting) to me if the sound source is significantly higher than the mains. For me at least, surround placement a bit in front of normal is less of a compromise. I then mounted 2 rear speakers (for a 7.1 system) high - one above the door as you suggested, angling down as Wayner said. This helps the sound to envelop a bit more than it would with only surrounds in front. There is less direct sound in rears than surrounds IMO, so the height matters less. Overall, this works quite well for me.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got my drill ready, so we'll see what happens. Unfortunately the door can't swing outward because of the way the doorframe is built. Glad to know I'm not the only one with an obtrusive door.