Best of The New Scooby Doo Movie Collection

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Paul Miller, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

I am getting this collection, but as soon as I read the annoucement, I went over to TV Tome to see what they wouldn't include based on the guests mentioned.

Wednesday Is Missing (Adams Family)
    A Good Medium Is Rare (Phyllis Diller)
    Sandy Duncan's Jekyll and Hyde (Sandy Duncan)
    The Secret of Shark Island (Sonny & Cher)
    The Haunted Horseman of Hagglethorn Hall (Davy Jones)
    The Phanton of the Country Music Hall (Jerry Reed)
    The Haunted Showboat (Josie & Pussycats)
    Mystery in Persia (Jeannie & Babu)
    Spirited Spooked Sport Show (Tim Conway)
    The Exterminator (Don Adams)

I can understand how there could be problems with some of the musical shows, but isn't it strange that both the Josie & Pussycats and Jeannie & Babu episodes wouldn't be included? They were both HB properties. Why no Phyllis Diller, Tim Conway, or Sandy Duncan?

Isn't the Adams Family in the opening of many of the Scooby Doo movies but they aren't going to include the movie?

Could they be splitting this up into two collections?

Paul

2. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

Probably depends on how this set sells... although, I'd wager it will do just fine. Each episode/movie runs a good 45 minutes, so it makes sense to split it up into two releases. The price ($64.92), on the other hand, doesn't make as much sense.

3. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

The HB sets are the only sets that I still have yet to finish. I'm glad I have them, but I'm just never in the mood to watch them. I don't have Flintstones S2 simply because I've yet to finish the first set. :b But when I read the SD Movies would be released, sounded cool and I may want it--but not at that price. How come the SD releases have to list for $20 more than every other one?

Granted, I've never paid list for anything, but that's still considerably more than buying another HB set.

4. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I don't think this is a smart move by Warner. The price is way too high for what is basically an incomplete set. I understand these are hour long shows, but since I already have the episodes I want from this show that I taped off Cartoon Network, I won't be getting it. It's a cartoon show, afterall, so image quality is not that big of a deal for me because I don't see that much of improvement anyway--except for maybe uncut episodes. Besides, I thought the animation declined a bit after the superior first 2 seasons of "Scooby Doo Where Are You?"

5. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I don't even mind that the set isn't complete--hopefully they can issue a 2-disc set later on with the other episodes. What bugs me is the price. Although the first few HB sets did cost that much, recently prices have dropped. Now, with this release, they're back up again.

6. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

They need to fix the goof on the current Scooby-Doo set....the episode with the Snow Ghost is missing visuals at the end of the opening credits and the beginnning of the title card....the music keeps going on a black screen.

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I've put another news post up about this set, IDing the 15th episode as Don Adams' "The Exterminator" (not the Josie & the Pussycats episodes I speculated on and hoped for).

As I said in the first news post, that price is too high. I will have to look for a really good deal to decide to bite on it, and I'm a super-huge Scooby fan!

I'm reasonably sure, given the list of episodes and their celebrities that didn't make it onto this set (Addams Family, Phyllis Diller, Sandy Duncan, Sonny & Cher, Davey Jones, Jerry Reed, Jeannie & Babu (think "I Dream of Jeannie" in animated format), Tim Conway, and my lamented Josie & The Pussycats), that the issues that kept these off the release were legal- and license- related stuff. Music rights, maybe, but other stuff too (who owns the rights to Addams Family these days? Do they want to "play" with Warner on this? Did WB want to hold up the release over it?).

I guess it's useless to speculate on the reasons, though, or whether or not there will be a 2nd volume. I'm more worried about affording this volume right now. $65 SRP? SHEESH! I truly hope that turns out to be a mistake in the announcement.

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

WB, Please release a COMPLETE set for "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" next!!!

9. florence franks

florence franks Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for list David. That too funny those are ones I like to see most, the excluded ones! Yes hour longs quality is questionable, especially in few episodes. They seem to be going in order though. I would think that makes the half hour "Scooby Doo Show" next on list. Which I think is fantastic. That is only one in my opinion that is close to the original "Where Are You". Well we do have to put up with dumb in few but otherwise.

10. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Not sure if this has anything to do with the omission of Josie and Jeannie episodes from this set, but I remember reading that Josie and the Pussycats and Jeannie were also scheduled to appear in the follow-up series, Scooby's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics, but didn't because of license rights issues. Josie belongs to Archie Comics and Jeannie belongs to Sony/Columbia. However, Babu was because he was created by HB.

11. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

This was my favorite of these movies, too bad it won't be on this set.

Wow the price is high. Sure, I won't pay list either but the fact that list is so high means the price I will pay will be higher than if the list price were lower. I hope its a mistake, that's an awful lot of $$$.

12. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Damn I was hoping for a complete set of the movies. [​IMG]

I think I'll hold off on it for now. It's fairly expensive for what's there anyways.

13. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I broke down and bought it today anyways.
    I think I'll be returning it tomorrow though because I took off the little canadian home video rating sticker and it ripped off the paint leaving a blank circle. [​IMG]
    I usually do use a hair dryer when doing that kind of thing, but I figured that since it was plastic, it'd be ok. [​IMG]

14. Barry Hebert

Barry Hebert Agent

Rob T, or anyone...

Do the episodes in this set have the complete / original openings with theme music intact.

When the "Batman and Robin" episodes were previously released on DVD, the shows included only the "title cards" for each episode. The opening / theme music was omitted--perhaps because it included animated images of celebrities and characters, some of whose episodes are not included in this set.

In spite of the price, I might have an interest in this set, IF the episodes included are COMPLETE as originally broadcast.

Thanks.

--Barry

15. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

They do indeed have the complete opening.[​IMG]

16. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I'm really tempted to get this, but I still can't get over the fact that this is an insanely high priced 'best-of' release. I may hold out to see what the next Scooby release will be. If they should release the remaining episodes of 'Movies', I'll most definitely get this set. I just have a problem with putting this on my shelf next to the complete 'Scooby Doo: Where Are You'. With 9 missing episodes of 'Movies', it just won't be complete to me.

17. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

I have a problem with the title. If it was The New Scooby-Doo Movies: Volume 1 then I wouldn't be worried much, but this is a best of set.

18. Jon F.

Jon F. Stunt Coordinator

If they actually go to the trouble to get the rights for the other episodes, will the next volume be called The rest of the Scooby Doo movies? [​IMG]

19. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

I have to say that I'm disappointed with some of the exclusions only to have the forgettable Batman episodes (already availble no less). A Good Medium is Rare is one of my favorites. Though some good ones certainly are included.

As for the price, the prices I saw listed in the Sunday paper are the same as the Where are you set, around $50. I believe that Target has for $45...

I really do hope that the later 70s Where are you/Scooby Show. Definitely the only show that compared to the original seasons and this set. I certainly won't buy anything post 70s as the mystery aspect went away in favor "real" ghosts and increased silliness - hey I know it's a cartoon, but I loved (and love) the mysteries, the villians and the creepiness of the 70s episodes.

20. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

My copy of the "Best of the New Scooby Doo Movies' is on its way. I ordered mine from www.facets.org. It is a film art institute in Chicago and their price for a new set was $34.95! They also have videos of classic cartoon characters commercials. Like Flintstones with Winston cigarettes and various cereal products. Check them out!