What's new

Best of the Mickey Mouse Club (1 Viewer)

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Although these episodes seem to be edited down from their hour format - I'm pretty pleased with this disc considering the $9.99 price I paid for it. BTW this is in reference to the B&W Mickey Mouse Club disc, not the Britney version. The content - while not being as extensive as the Treasures disc set - is highly entertaining - especially the Firehouse 5 dixieland segments on Anything Can Happen Day. Worth checking into.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I enjoyed seeing The Hardy Boys segment again. But, all it did was whet my appetite for more. I hope that Disney will one day collect the series in a Treasures collection like they are doing this next go-round with Spin & Marty. I always liked Spin & Marty, but for me, The Hardy Boys were the real deal!:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
When Disney cable channel was a premium channel, I subscribed to it just to see the episodes of the original Mickey Mouse Club. I will probably pick up this disc, but would definitely like to see one with Spin & Marty. Since my name is Marty, I remember enjoying that series when it first aired. As a matter of fact, I recall fond memories of coming home after to school to watch the original MMC.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So is this just and edited down cheap reissue of last year's Treasure release or are the episodes different?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
They are different episodes. The Treasures release was the complete first week.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

Actually, the shows may be edited, but the originals were a half hour, not an hour. Only the first two seasons (1955-57) of "The Mickey Mouse Club" were an hour; starting with the 1957-58 season, the show was a half hour.

What confuses me about this set is that one of the shows is given a date of 1964. All my references tell me the original series ran from 1955-59 on the network and entered syndication in 1962 (when I believe the original hour shows were cut up into half hours.) Is the 1964 show a syndicated version of an hour show? Or what is it?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yes, Marco. The Disney Treasures set includes the first five (one-hour) episodes of the series in their entirety along with a few bonus features. None of that material is repeated on this new disc.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Joe, I do not know if this is a package typo or rather a syndication air date. It (like all of the other episodes on this disc) is a half-hour program and the end credits for this particular episode show a 1957 copyright. The episode itself is pretty standard fare. It starts with the Mousketeer (Anything Can Happen Day) musical open, followed by 3 special guests who perform song and dance numbers (including the presentation of Mousketeer Ears), next up Annette hosts a "Hawaiian Adventure" newsreel and the show wraps with the traditional close.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Thanks for the info, Gary. I'm afraid the dates given for the shows make little sense. I don't think Annette was still doing "The Mickey Mouse Club" as late as 1964! She'd have been 22 -- a little old for a Mouseketeer! :laugh:

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I enjoyed this release, too. I'd been meaning to pick up the Treasures release, and hadn't gotten around to it, but this really made me want to get it. I wish Disney would release season box sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks