Best of Roxy Music SACD -- mixed bag

Discussion in 'Music' started by Alan_Horner, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

Was thrilled to find that the import SACD of The Best of Roxy Music arrived by mail from Merry Ol' England today. This had been delayed for months, something that didn't sit too well with me.

But it really is a shame that the disc was delayed so that it arrived after the recent release of the Avalon SACD. That disc really did set a high-water mark that will be tough to live up to. Avalon had raised my expectations for Best of and I guess there wasn't much of a real chance that it could live up to those expectations.

Don't get me wrong: it's great to have this compliation of Roxy on one SACD title. It's just that I don't really notice a marked difference in audio quality from that of the remastered HDCD Roxy catalog. It seems to me that the SACD versions have a bit more warmth to them, but the difference isn't all that obvious. Again, great to have on SACD, but not the demo disc I was hoping for after Avalon.

And actually, this hybrid stereo SACD feeds into my concerns about how much effort labels put into SACD releases when the project is not a multichannel remix. I've always been concerned that it's relatively easy for labels to simply port over stereo titles from Redbook CDs to SACDs without taking the extra steps necessary to really make them shine. Go ahead, call me paranoid. But it doesn't help when SACDs like this one simply use the regular CD booklet (so no mention of SACD credits or mastering whatsoever).

I don't regret getting this by any means. But if Virgin were to issue the rest of the Roxy catalog on SACD in stereo-only versions, I'd have to seriously think about picking them up because the sound on Best of leads me to think that they wouldn't be much different than the HDCD remasters.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    All the Virgin SACD's that I've gotten came in super jewell cases that shouldn't be mistaken for CD's. Surely they haven't regressed to worse...?

3. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Eric LeRouge posted a very similar review over at AA: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/t...hirez&m=146314

The gist: worth it if you don't have all these tracks already (particularly from the JHDCDs), best sounding release for the early tunes, not as good as the "Avalon" SACD.

5. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

Best of is housed in the Super Jewel Box.

I wasn't suggesting that labels would put an actual CD in a new jewel case and try to pass that off as a SACD release. Michael_T got exactly what I meant (and said it better).

Sorry for any confusion.

6. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I am a huge Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry but I'll wait for the domestic releases of their albums and may only purchase 2 or 3
    out of the whole catalog. Maybe by then, there may be a DSD remix/remaster and multi-channel mix effort added to the discs. I share your concerns about the labels just re-formatting the PCM tracks to DSD. I think Sony did the same thing with the BOSTON SACD-it sounds no better nor different than the gold Mastersound CD.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Eric posted a slightly longer and slightly tweaked review of "Best of" at SACDinfo:

http://www.sacdinfo.com/showtitle.php?title=808

My order was dispatched from the UK via expedited mail on Tuesday, so with a little luck I'll have it by the weekend (plus two of the Groove Armada titles and the Penguin Cafe Orchestra). Though this disc may not be the revelation that is "AVALON" on SACD, it seems to be less of a mixed bag than I'd thought. If the pre-Avalon tunes are really the best sounding of any release ever (including vinyl), I'd say that's just about good enough for me!

But, really, every release should be as good as "AVALON". In my dreams anyway....

11. Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen Stunt Coordinator

Speaking of Roxy Music...
    I just bought their remastered HDCD version of Avalon the other day for a nifty price ($10.00CDN). I'm very impressed with the "quality" of the disc. I noticed that the place I bought it from was selling Ferry's remastered HDCD version of Boys and Girls for the same price. Is it worth a blind purchase? I know some of the tunes well enough, but I'm curious about the "quality" of this remastered disc. Is it on par with Avalon? Is it better?

12. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Eric says: Better.

The link to his review does the comparison between the two SACD releases.
    And Avalon, WINS!
    Point's well made, I may add.
    However, he STILL rates it at five stars!?!?!?!

Anyone else?

Any 'solid' domestic release dates, for the RM SACD's?

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

15. charles white

charles white Second Unit

Is "Boys And Girls" worthy of a blind purchase? I say YES because it could be accepted as a logical extension to "Avalon". I still have "Avalon" on vinyl and it pounds the "remastered" CD edition that rarely sees the CD player. It has always been my contention that "Avalon" was one of the most beautiful recorded albums in my collection. I had once read that this album was recorded at 30ips. Regardless, I'll keep spinning the black circle until the SACD arrives.