What's new

Best of Bowie 2 DVD set (1 Viewer)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The Best of Bowie 2-disc set "featuring 47 tracks
compromising the the most complete collection of the musician's TV and video performances" is reportedly excellent, with loads of easter eggs and such, but according to people who got the region 2 release a couple weeks before we here in the States get it...
China Girl, Day in Day Out, and Loving the Alien are the censored "MTV safe" versions, not the original videos which were seen on Night Flight and elsewhere (I think MTV actually showed the uncensored China Girl after 8PM, or something).
So on the DVD there's no nudity on the beach in China Girl, and the climactic scene in Loving the Alien where blood starts to drip out of Bowie's nose (symbolizing the nasal implants reported in alien abduction) is missing. I don't know what is cut from Day In Day Out as I never saw that video.
The normal, uncensored versions are NOT in the easter eggs. The easter eggs include the 20 minute short-film version of Jazzin For Blue Jean.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
These eggs are for the Region 2 but chances are they'll be on our version too. I wish the person who explained these was a bit more descriptive, but it is a start:

-jazzing for blue jean : click on the ")" on the tracklisting
- mtv club performance of blue jean : when u are on "jazzing..;" click on the image when
the girl puts a coin in the juke box
- day in day out remix: press enter
- 7 years in tibet in madarin; when entering the tracklist click on the subtible when the video begins
- miracle goodnight" remix ; wait 6 minutes on the tracklist
-interview ; click on "-" on the tracklist of "drive in saturday"
- the 2nd take of "pretty thing" is easy to find

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
This is from bowiewonderland.com
disc1:

Oh You Pretty Things: when you press the PLAY ALL menu it will start with Take 1, but when you just enter throught the song list it will have Take 2.

interview after Drive In Saturday: when you press the "go right" arrow in the song list menu while on that title, you'll see a "-". Simply press play on that one.

same kinda thing with the Jazzin For Blue Jean movie, but in this case you'll see a ")"and you will see the small pic for Blue jean change. Then pres the "go right" again.

disc2: Seven Years In Tibet: simply go to the Mandarin text under the title when the clip starts.

Thanks David for your much needed help. I've found all the easter eggs on disc 1, apart from the easter egg inside an easter egg, for Blue Jean (mtv wag club video). On disc 2, I've only found the Day in Day out Remix (at track list press left then play in quick succession). I have no Mandarin titles to go down to at the Seven Years in tibet start, so havn't found the Mandarin version yet !!!!. I've tried lots of things but cant find the following easter eggs....Miracle Goodnight (remix) and Survive (live).
More help needed folks, let us know how you are all getting on finding all the easter eggs and what you think of the BOB dvd. I think it's brilliant !!! I was £14.99 for mine and at 4hours 12mins long it's great value.

Chris M

Second Unit
So, when is the actual release date for this in Region 1? I had it originally slated for November 5th.

Thanks,
Chris.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
According to dvdplanet.com the release date is this Tuesday (11/19/02). They're selling it for $24.49, and claim to have it in stock...

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
So on the DVD there's no nudity on the beach in China Girl, and the climactic scene in Loving the Alien where blood starts to drip out of Bowie's nose (symbolizing the nasal implants reported in alien abduction) is missing.
That's a shame, especially since the 'Bowie: The Video Collection' LD has the unedited "Loving the Alien." (I'm not sure if the other two videos are unedited on the LD, but I would assume so. I'll have to watch the LD again and double-check.) I guess that's another LD I'll have to keep because they couldn't get the DVD right.

Regardless, I'm still really looking forward to this DVD. The LD only goes up to "Fame '90," and I've never seen most of his videos after that. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the ones from Outside and Earthling.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to confirm that the Easter egg for "Blue Jean" does work on the R1 version. "Jazzin'" indeed appears there, all 20 glorious minutes of it. Woo-hoo! "Jazzin'" alone is worth the price of the DVD - the rest's gravy!

"Rock star's got no boots on..."

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I suppose you could argue that the censored versions are the ones most people know and are familiar with.
Aside from all that, I want this set for the glorious performance of Starman on Top of The Pops. Alongside the week that Pan's People dressed up as schoolgirls :) it's the event on Top of the Pops that every male in my age group remembers.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Ok, I just wanted to add this, courtesey of Bowie Wonderworld for those of you having trouble locating the easter eggs on this DVD:
Stop searching, it's quite simple:
In all cases, it's Title followed by Chapter/Track on your DVD display.
Disc 1:
Oh, you pretty things (alternate take): 2-01
Interview with Russell Harty: 30-01
Ziggy DVD ad: click the lightning bolt logo on the tracklisting menu.
Blue Jean complete promo: 31-01
Blue Jean MTV edit (Wag Club): 32-01
Disc 2:
Day in Day out Extended Mix: 24-01
Miracle Goodnight Remix: 23-01
Seven Years in Tibet Mandarin Version: 25-01
Survive Live in Paris: 2-20
Not sure if title/chapter numbers sre the same on R1 though...

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
My roommate brought this set home last night and it is fantastic.

I have a question. In the video BOYS KEEP SWINGING, Bowie appears in drag as 3 famous actresses. The 2nd (redhead) is Lauren Bacall and the last is Bette Davis. Does anyone know who the first character (the brunette) is?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
PCM 48/16
Oh baby!
Bowie rocks. The CD+V that came as disc four of the original Sound + Vision boxed CD set from Rykodisc was the disc that got me into LDs! I went to an LD shop just to be able to watch the disc, and while I was there I realized that most of the LDs they had for sale and rent were OAR. I bought a player a month later.
So, David Bowie got me into LaserDiscs.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have the David Bowie 8-inch LD that has the uncensored China Girl (the only nudity is from Dave himself, a sight I can live without!) The full-length Blue Jean video was released by itself on a 12-inch LD, if I remember correctly.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Noticed on disc 1 the "easter egg" of the alternate take of the first song is reversed- if you hit Enter on "Play All" it plays the alternate version, and if you hit the right-arrow instead of Enter it plays the regular version.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Is the "Underground" video the one made in collaboration with Jim Henson and all the puppets? I saw that once or twice a looong time ago, and loved it.

-Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks