Best Non-Substantial DVD Special Features

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
To be clear about this thread, this is not about which DVD has the best commentary, as there have been lots of those. Its also not about the best making-of documentary, which I would define as lasting over 20 minutes.

This is about all those minor special features, like image galleries, trailers, featurettes, and deleted scenes. All the little stuff that can make a DVD great. Here are my favorites:
1.) The trailer for "Dinosaur" on the "Tarzan" DVD- This trailer just has the first minutes of the movie, but that's pretty much all that's worthwhile about "Dinosaur".
2.) The deleted scenes with commentary from "Blade 2"- I love Del Toro admitting that the deleted scenes are crap and his constant ridicule of the bad acting and writing contained in them.
3.) The image galleries from most Disney Special Editions and the LOTR movies- These are very extensive, fun to go through, and even have commentary on particular images.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
1. The music video of Kid Creole and the Coconuts performing "My Male Curiosity" on the Against All Odds DVD.

2. Adam Baldwin singing "The Ballad of Jayne" on the Firefly set.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
The hidden feature on Glengarry Glen Ross that has all these amateur actors reciting the Alec Baldwin monologue. So painful to watch, and shows how well Baldwin did it.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
...what about Lord of the Piercing on the LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring EE?

Although one of the things that's advertised but I haven't found yet, is on the Monty Python and the Holy Grail SE disc, they claim it has...

So where is it? I haven't found any pink edges on mine.

Leo Kerr

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
The Deleted Scenes from UHF as introduced by Weird Al. It is funny for many reasons including Weird Al saying that if they hadn't been on the disc, that we'd all start wining because he knows how we are.

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
The last outtake on the non-Superbit Gattaca DVD. Best thing on the entire disc.

The extra on Best of the Muppet Show, Vol. 3, with the Muppets auditioning for the part of Stanley Kowalski in A Streetcar Named Desire. I don't normally care for the post-Jim Henson Muppet stuff, but that one bit is pretty wonderful.

The cut scene on the original The Italian Job, with the waltzing Mini Coopers. I'm holding on to the DVD just for that bit.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
That little kid doing some wierd Matrix-style martial arts on the DVD of Cabin Fever, to the song "Gay Bar" is pretty weird, but i dont know if i'd call it funny.......

depends on your sense of humour.....

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
This isn't a special feature that's actually ON the disc itself, but it tickles me that it's included...

The Jack Rabbit Slim's menu with the Pulp Fiction set.

Why on Earth would they spend money producing something like that? It's completely useless, but I love it. I was delighted when I opened the disc and saw it and it still delights me every time I open the disc to watch it again.

Brian Kidd

Premium
One of my favorite features is a type that is rarely utilized anymore: text essays. I mean the ones like are featured on T2:UE, THE ABYSS, and THE SOUND OF MUSIC. I know, they were ported over from the LD sets. Still, they go into so much more detail and are far more intelligently written than almost all video-based supplements I've seen lately save for the LOTR:EE sets.

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
On the Holy Grail I've always liked the Lego vers of "Knights of the Roundtable" & the menu help for the hard of hearing.

About the Jack Rabbit Slim's Menu from PF: Anyone been able to find the $5 Shake on it? I think they forgot it... Kind of a bummer, it's a great moment from the film!

Some of my favorite non-essentials:

On the 2nd disc of the newest Trainspotting DVD there's a great teaser trailer.

The multi-angle features in Hannibal, Black Hawk Down & LOTR FR & TT are pretty cool too.

The doc on film processing from Traffic (Criterion vers) is really fascinating, I never realized how much work goes into it.

Anton Karas playing the zither in The Third Man (Crit Ed) is quite good.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speakerspeaker