What's new

Best non-Panasonic DVD player (1 Viewer)

Charles C

Auditioning
I've been scouring this forum for ideas on a new DVD player. I currently own a Panasonic A110, which as many of you know has significant pixellization (and other) problems I've suffered through for many years. I didn't get notification of the class action settlement, so the only recourse I have to protest Panasonic (since, when these problems started 366 days after I bought it, I got no help from Panasonic whatsoever) is to not buy their products anymore.

Unfortunately, it seems that the best DVD player for the price and picture quality is the Panasonic RP82. It has all the features I'm looking for: quality MPEG decoding, a high quality de-interlacing chip (Faroujda), and excellent progressive scan performance. I don't need any DVD audio, multi-disk changers, or recording capability. I just want really good video performance for under $300.

Is there any other brand out there which has similar (or better) video performance in this price range? Or should I swallow my pride and give Panny my hard earned $? Or, should I wait a bit for other brands (and/or technology) to catch up? My A110 is tolerable, and I don't have an HDTV yet.

Your expertise and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
Your best bet if you seek quality video, and cannot find an RP-82, is to swallow your pride and pick up an rp-72.
Same video section as the 82 and can be had for about $220. Use your mastercard and you can get $20 off on the crutchfield site.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but... (And I've had Pioneer players for 5 years, and *I'm* not going to switch anytime soon, but...)

Panasonic players got really good marks in the latest Secrets DVD player shootout. www.hometheaterhifi.com . If you like the player now, I'd just stick with them. For audio, I might give a different answer, but if it's primarily video quality you're interested in, it's tough to beat Panny for the price.

Charles C

Auditioning
Aw, man. You guys are killing me....

The only good news is that the RP-82 is discontinued -- or at least impossible to find -- which minimizes my temptation at the moment.

I do appreciate the feedback, and it's not inconsistent with other opinions, judging from some additional research I've done.

It does appear that the Panasonics may have some issues with overall longevity and sturdiness, but I guess that's why you pay the extra $1000 for the Denon or Kenwood, huh.

Here's my (grossly oversimplified) summary of what I've found so far WRT "affordable" DVD players:

Toshiba - chroma bug (red push)
Sony - too "soft" a picture
Pioneer - audio sync issues

Any other blanket observations on DVD makers? Anyone else have a "great find" WRT video quality in an affordable (i.e., sub-$300) player?

Charles

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I haven't found that Pioneer's have had audio sync issues *for years*. :) I had a 414, which was one of the 1st affordable players ($400!). It had a lip sync problem, that Pioneer later fixed with a firmware fix. That was 4 years ago...

Julio Ortiz

Agent
OK guys... so with budget out of the game.... What options I have for a DVD player that offers good picture quality and sound, and has 3:2 (as bonus) for an HDTV and FP?

Charles C

Auditioning
It had a lip sync problem, that Pioneer later fixed with a firmware fix.
And that's exactly my point. Pioneer had a problem and fixed it, while Panasonic had a problem and told their customers they were SOL.

I'd much rather deal with a company that finds, admits and fixes its mistakes than one that pretends they don't exist.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, IMO the answer for Charles is probably Denon, starting with the 1600...but you'd still be putting "some" money in Panny's pocket.

Too bad you got screwed with the A110 etc. CA, but I think Panny learned well from it in that their subsequent products have generally performed well re PQ...now if only a few other manufacturers picked up on it. From what we read, it looks like new DVD player models will typically be "worse" than current ones, and cheaper, in the short term at least.

SethC

Agent
Does the 82 play SVCD's btw?

What about Philips as far as brands? Not as cold as SOny, or blocked as Pioneer...

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Yes, the RP82 does play SVCDs. In the manual it says it doesn't. I tried it myself and it plays them great. I'm glad I picked up my RP82 back in September. Especially for $220.

SethC

Agent
I am considering upgrading to a CP72, can it play SVCD's? I want something (prefer Panasonic) that is a multidisc player and plays SVCD's.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Charles,

As another previously-burned A-110 owner, I empathize with your plight. My own personal Panasonic boycott is well into its second year. They left a lot of people hanging out to dry on that one, and they should definitely be held accountable.

In fact, as I consider picking up a projector in the coming year, I'm very conflicted myself. The new PT-L300U looks incredibly appealing to me.

But prior experience with this brand has left a terrible taste in my mouth.

Charles C

Auditioning
Good to see I'm not alone, Todd. I, too, have noticed some pretty cool products coming out from Panny of late, which have tempted me to break my boycott (e.g., some of their DVD recorder seem to have a lot of kewl features). But I'm holding my ground.

Which is probably a good idea, for as Craig (and others in this forum) pointed out, Panny is once again screwing with their once and future customers by putting out their new wave of DVD players with lesser quality -- i.e., moving from the proven DCDi chips to their own "proprietary" chips -- in order to complete against the arguably more successful mass producers, such as (ugh!) Apex.

Thanks to my new found interest in this forum, however, I am much more educated on what to look for -- and what not to look for -- in a new player.

Thanks for everyone's $0.02.

Charles

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
If you can't pick up the RP82 or 72 what else is out there sub $300 CDN? I'm looking for a DVD player that does music well. I'll be paring it up with Totem speakers and a Marantz 6200.

My own boycott of Sony is probably comming. I'm waiting to hear back from Sony on a $630 estimate to repair an S360....lol....yes I ment to type $630........for a 2 year old DVD player that cost $400 cdn. I'll start my rant soon...as I'm still at the threat stage with Sony.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
JBW, you ought to be able to find an RP82 around Toronto, at Leon's or Future Shop, 2001, and some of the independent dealers. In fact, I've heard some places are clearing them out at Cdn$330 or less, since they are a discontinued (??) item. FS still had the odd one in stores (apparently; I saw one out here last week) but still at $399. I haven't seen a CP72 in a store for a long time, don't forget to check with Sears if you're looking for one; heck, one Sears still had a new RP56 last week.

Edit: forgot you wanted something that does music well...these do *video* well, I personally don't like DVD players for music. Some people don't find these too bad though.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
Hey...I got great news today. I found out that I did buy an extended warranty and am covered for a replacement DVD player with equivalent features. I just about picked up the Sony DVPNS715P as it was the only one they had with 2 s-video connections in the back which I require. I need to find a player that futureshop carries that is up to $399. The 715 was priced at $329 and I would have got it except all they had was a floor model.

At this price point from futureshop is the Sony 715 the way to go? Do I have to get the ugly silver finish or does it come in black?

Futureshop also carries Toshiba, Panasonic (out of RP82), Sony, Yamaha (limited), HK and I think JVC.

What do you think?

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up the 715 yesturday and did a quick audition last night and it is pretty nice. They did have the RP82 there but I hate to say it but its buck ugly! And the buttons feel like they could fall off at any time. Whats up with that mirror finish?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
LOL, let's just say it grows on you, and be thankful it has a low profile... I read somewhere that the design focus groups were females, and my experience is that they *do* think it's nice-looking and "stylish". The buttons don't fall off, and they are pretty tiny, but the unit is so light and doesn't have non-skid feet, so when you push the buttons the unit slides. Surprisingly, the chrome finish is very immune to fingerprints, not what you'd think. I don't like chrome myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks