What's new

Best NON-animated 1.85:1 DVD transfer around? (1 Viewer)

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Subject line says it all, I really wanna blow away my very picky friends with a screen filling transfer!!! Looking for sharpness, good colour tone etc etc

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Hannibal--very nice transfer and cinematography beautiful Italian location shots. Ten Commandments--gorgeous Technicolor Below--good submarine/ghost movie and effective 5.1 soundtrack.

These are all 1:85 aspect ratio so won't have black bars on your widescreen set.

I don't mind the black bars of 2:35+ aspect ratio films on my widescreen set, but if one is trying to impress the uninitiated filling the screen overcomes the blackbar phobia they sometimes have.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I also like Starship Troopers. Recently, IIRC...Frailty had a pretty good transfer with no EE.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Vanilla Sky's another good one. Also, here's one that will give your sound system a good workout too: Queen's "We Will Rock You" concert disc, especially the DTS edition :D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Written on the Wind, North by Northwest, Do The Right Thing and Criterion's In The Mood for Love are all mind-blowingly luscious transfers.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
You'll see CHARLOTTE GRAY pop up a lot as a reference-quality ISF-standard transfer... and I totally agree. The flesh tones, color rendition and black level in this title are astonishing. Not to mention it's a pretty damn good movie.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
My top 10 1.85:1 movies;
  • Aliens
  • Baby Boy
  • Best Man
  • Blade II
  • Dracula: Superbit!
  • Jurassic Park III
  • Set It Off!
  • Sleepy Hollow
  • Starship Troopers!
  • Talent Mr Ripley, The

Troy

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Blade II by far. Amazing transfer and the DTS soundtrack will show off your sound like never before.

2:35 has a lot of great movies also.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Already mentioned are In the Mood for Love and 8 1/2 . To that Criterion’s Juliet of the Spirits, is stunning.

Another gorgeous choice might be Sirks’s All That Heaven Allows (another Criterion) although its aspect ratio is 1.77:1 (I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks