best multi-cd changer around $1k?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark LP, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Mark LP

Mark LP Agent

I'm looking for a multi-disc player (5-7 cd's/no mega changer's please) to use during parties and for my second zone speakers. stereo sacd playback would be a bonus, but not a neccessity. My main music/HT area uses an Integra 8.2 receiver with the new 8.3 single dvd player (handles my dvd-audio and sacd). My short list includes so far the Integra cdc-3.1, the Yamaha c920. What should I be adding to this to look at?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Paul Stiles

Paul Stiles Agent

Sony SCD-C555ES SACD changer would be my choice for a 5 disk changer at any price.
    Review at stereophile, link below.
    http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?469
    Oade.com sell them at a decent price, as do others such as J&R and OneCall.
    Paul

3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I bet you;ll find an over-whelming vote for the Sony 555ES. I don't own one, but I can tell you, from everything I read, this seems to be the one to get.

Aaron

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The Sony 555ES is a great choice, if you can still find one. They were going for about $600 online, but several HTF members are reporting that the authorized online Sony ES dealers are out of supply, and it appears that Sony has discontinued the model. You may be forced to buy retail, which will up the price to about $800.

I purchased a 555ES about a month ago and have been very pleased with the unit. It is an excellent redbook CD player, and also has stereo and multi-channel SACD support.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, get a 'C555ES if you can still find one. They are drying up through discount mail-order dealers, but you may be able to score one through a local brick-and-mortar dealer. You may have to pay full retail, which is $800. The 'C555ES is still a bargain at $800. SACD is a bonus, as it is a great CD player.