Best movie theater in San Fran

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jonny Thews, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Jonny Thews

Jonny Thews Auditioning

Long time visitor first time poster. Heading out to San Fran this week for a few days and looking to see War of the Worlds while there. My wife and I will be staying at the Sheraton Palace in the Financial District and we will have a rental car. However, we are not opposed to taking public transportation. Also, if you guys can recommend some really good Chinese and Mexican restaurants that would be cool as well. Thanks.

Jonny

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I always made it a point to catch the Matrix 1-3 in IMAX at the Sony Metreon when I was in San Francisco on business. I can't really speak to the quality of the other theaters in the complex but it all looked very state of the art. It's down by the convention center, the SFMOMA, and Yerba Buenas Gardens (sp?).

3. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The Metreon is a truly amazing complex. I want one in Boston, badly.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

That's the best place for war of the worlds.
    If you really want to see san francisco go to the Red Vic on Haight Street. Indie & Foreign Films..... sit on the couches and eat popcorn out of big bowls. Not to many 'worker owned' movie theaters in this country.
    You might get to see the original WOTW but not the new one.
    Momento plays on Tuesday which is pretty cool.
    I am only a few blocks away if you have questions feel free to email me.

http://www.redvicmoviehouse.com/

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Chinatown is south of Broadway centered on Grant. If they are open; they are good. Bad ones don't survive.
    Stay away of the ones next to the hotel which survive by tourists not knowing better.

Mexican in the Mission District, hail a cab and tell the cabbie '16th & valencia'. There are a dozen great ones within a block or 2. $5 for a burrito the size of a small baby.

6. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Best Chinese (If you like relatively inexpensive, hot food): Henry's Hunan - it's on Sansome, just 1-2 blocks south of Broadway.

For fancy, more expensive French/Chinese cuisine, try Tommy Toy's, on Montgomery, at Washington (that's almost walking distance from the Sheraton Palace).

For the best (authentic) Mexican, you should go to the Mission District - around Valencia, betwen 16th and 24th.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Cool Fact #2 about the hotel - Warren Harding died there.
    If you are riding the cable car near happy hour; jump off at the St Francis Hotel (Atop Nob Hill is it's address)
    On the lowest level is the 'Tiki Bar'.
    Buy some drinks and watch the strange Band floating on a barge in the real lagoon.....don't go till the rainstorm hits!
    It's been there since the 30s .....pretty funky.
    We took some German friends there and they were blown away

8. Jonny Thews

Jonny Thews Auditioning

Thanks for all the great suggestions. My wife and I are really looking forward to spending six days in San Fran and two days in Yosemite. I have been to San Fran once when I was about eleven years old but that was almost twenty years ago. We are also looking forward to going to Monterey and to the wine country. We don't really drink but the scenery should make up for that.

Grant B.,
    I may just email you while we are there. Thanks.

Jonny

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

That's alot of driving, just try to be off the road during the commute. Generally leaving SF during the morning is against the commute but the evening is complicated because many come to the city for dinner etc.