Best Mousetrap?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Steve Schaffer, May 20, 2004.

1. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've got a mouse in my house who's apparently paying protection to the cat.

I'm in need of an effective mousetrap or other rodent control option that will either trap or kill the wee beasty without letting it wander off into some unfindable nook or cranny to die and thus smell up the place. I also have a small dog and cat and would prefer an option that would not poison one of them.

Oh, and while I'm at it, any suggestions on an effective bugspray to use on small moths? I've tried Raid flying insect and Ortho House and Garden, sprayed directly on the moths in flight and neither has any effect on them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Wow Steve you are certainly have some death to deal.

This works well..

http://www.tomahawklivetrap.com/products/35.html

There are also some repellents that work quite well.

Small bowls of vinegar work wonders at keeping those pesky little gnats, moth fly etc.

Hope this helps.

HTF's AR's nuisance ending transmission

3. Joey Skinner

Joey Skinner Second Unit

The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't see any problem with the good old fashion snap traps. The dog or cat will only tangle with them once and shouldn't get injured, but a little penut butter and the mouse fill find that trap no matter where it is, so you should be able to keep it out of reach of your critters.

My mom had a dog (with a big nose) that had a habit of breaking into my room every morning and rooting through my trash can, a mousetrap buried under some paper scared the crap out of him and broke that habit [​IMG]

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

My old roommate used to work for a feed store, and he brought home some of thos sticky traps... It worked instantly. Put it in their traffic area and they're done.
    (unless you belong to PETA, these work great)
    The mouse in queston couldn't budge. He got himself sooo worked up that he peeled the skin off his face and nose trying to get free.
    [​IMG]

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Basic snap traps work fine, and are much more humane IMO than what Kevin described. [​IMG]

7. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Ive used the glue traps... just make sure to put them places where the cat wont get into them but where a mouse would have access (like in closets, etc)... Our you will have a very pissed off sticky kitty.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ditto that.

i put the sticky one out ... next day the mouse was there ... all stuck. he wasn't dead or anything ... just whimpering. i felt kinda bad....

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Get yourself a big bucket. Like one of those multi-gallon jobbies they put drywall spackle in. Empty it out and fill it half full of water. Then put the wire handle "up" and cover the plastic wire-handle guard (the spinny white plastic thing you hold onto) with peanut butter.

Put a yardstick upto the lip of the bucket.

The mouse will smell the peanut butter, run up the yardstick and jump onto the handle. The mouse doesn't know the handle spins and will fall off into the water. And the mouse will drown eventually.

10. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Great suggestions everybody!!

My computer is in my dining area adjacent to the kitchen. The cat just happened to be inside and noticed the mouse about 5 minutes ago and is currently waiting patiently for it to emerge from under the fridge!! The commotion scared the dog who just jumped into my lap (20 pound Corgiterripoo).

If kitty is unsuccessful I think I'll go with the sticky trap.

My washer/dryer are in a small shed on the back patio. This house was my ex's before we got married and she had rat problems in the laundry shed. We moved in together in 93 and in 94 I got my current dog as a tiny pup. I let her out one evening and she didn't come back in right away.

I went outside and called her and looked around to see if there were any gaps in the fence she could have gotten thru, none found but little Margo was nowhere to be seen.

I figured she'd come back in when she got hungry so after a bit of looking around gave up and went back inside.

An hour later I got really worried and searched again, this time looking behind the washer. There was my poor little pup, standing on all 4 feet in the middle of a large rat-size sticky trap, totally immobilized and shaking but not whimpering at all. If I hadn't thought to look behind the washer it would have been horrible to contemplate as I didn't even know that sticky trap was there!!

I carefully lifted pup and trap and carried her into the house, panicky that the sticky trap's poison would kill her.

Called my then girlfriend at work and consultation with her coworkers revealed that vegetable oil would unstick dog, which did work. Later call from her to say that the sticky wasn't poison at all, thank God.

This whole episode really cemented a strong bond between myself and little Margo. Sorry to be so longwinded but the sticky trap suggestion brought back the memory.

On the moths--a small bowl or several of vinegar would act as a repellant??

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

unless it's a bucket of cream, then one mouse will drown and the other will whip it into butter and climb out

12. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

And depending how cruel you are, there all sorts of nasty liquids you could put in the bucket.