Best/Most Econimical way to connect DVD player to TV.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

I have a Kenwood VR-507 reciever, which has composite and S-Video switching.

I have a Panasonic DVD-RV30 DVD plater, which as component, composite, and s-video outs.

The TV is a Sony 36FS13, it has component, composite and s-video imputs.

My PS2 is also hooked up via S-Video to the reciever. And to the TV via the reciever's S-Video out.

All audio connections are done by optical cable.

I am asking how to hook up my DVD player's video. I could hook up the DVD player directly to the TV via component, but then would lose the luxury of my reciever's s-video switching capability. Like if I was in the middle of a movie and wanted to check something on the tv, I would either have to turn the DVD player off or remove the component video cables. So hooking up with s-video would be more conveinant.

Also, s-video cables are cheaper than component, so I could save a little money by going s-video.

I read before that the difference between component and s-video is minimal and you can't tell the difference unless using a very large set. Will the difference be noticable on this Sony 36FS13? Even if the difference is minimal the cost and conveinance advantages of s-video may prove s-video to be a better choice.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You Do know that you could hook up all 3 video connections (Composite, SVideo, Component) from the DVD player to the TV. They are all active.

So, the "best" thing to do is run SVideo from everything to the receiver, then 1 SVideo cable to the TV. This makes the system simple to operate & use.

Later, you can run out and buy/order a set of component cables and go straight from the DVD to the TV and then for DVD movies, flip to the "better" component feed.

3. Mark Fitzsimmons

I understand that everything running to the tv will be active. As I noted how s-video would more conveinant in my post. I am worried that I may be missing out on something if I don't use component for the dvd.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

No, you wont miss anything with SVideo.

Your TV has filters. Filters are never perfect. The most difficult/hardest to do right/defines a good vs bad TV is the comb filter.

The job of the comb filter is to convert Composite to SVideo. By going with a SVideo feed, you bypass the comb filter in the TV.

There is another filter that converts SVideo to Component, but this filter is fairly easy to do.

Home Theater magazine used a 50" reference TV with all 3 kinds of connections and came up with these numbers:

Composite - baseline

SVideo - 20% better than Composite

Component - 25% better than Composite

They also said that smaller displays show LESS improvement, larger displays show MORE.

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

So if the difference is only 5% on a 50" and it is less on a 36" it's probably unnoticable, if it's unnoticable I can not justify spending the extra cash or going through the hastle of using component.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

6. Nathan Hamstra

Hey, can he use the squeeze feature with the s-video input? If the squeeze only works with component, then it's sort of a no-brainer -> component.

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you have to actually power down the DVD player or unplug the component cables from the back of the TV before you can use the remote and view an S-video program from your A/V receiver, then you have a very lousy TV. Regardless of other features or anamorphic squeeze or price. If the TV remote has at least 3 A/V selections (such as Video 1 for composite jack 1, Video 2 for composite jack 2 or S-video either/or, Video 3 for component and possibly another composite jack either/or) it should not have that problem.
    As can be seen, the "best/most economical" way differs depending on whether you want ease of use versus finest picture quality. A home theater set up for picture quality will likely have all three kinds -- composite, S-video, and component -- of cabling going into the TV.
    Some (not all) DVD players will deliver output from their component and composite jacks simultaneously. So you can connect both cables and you view DVD's via component video while the kids can quickly switch back and forth between VCR and DVD and video games qusing the composite video through the A/V receiver.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Don't rely on other people's statistics to tell you whether you'll see a meaningful improvement with component. People have reported widely different assessments of the degree of improvement they see. A lot depends on the specific equipment; a lot depends on the eye of the beholder.

The only way you'll know whether the improvement is worth whatever extra effort or expense is involved is to try it and judge with your own eyes.

M.

9. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator