What's new

best minimonitors now? (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
So I took a friend out to General Audio in Calgary today, so he could listen to some speakers. He wanted to listen to the Paradigm 40's and the new 5's that just came out, as that seems to be most of the talk around here. The guy didn't have the new 5's yet and didn't seem to want to move on the price of the 40's which are rather over his budget anyways. Instead he pushed the fact that "we'll work with you to set it up and any uqestions you can come to me for answers" bull$hit... He immediately took us to this pair of Visonik's I think it was spelled, from Berlin, which he could "do" $595 for them, pushing the fact that they had real wood cabinets, which we dont care about, and telling us about some review that was coming out in some magazine I've never heard of called UHF and they are supposed to have the "audiophile sound" we were looking for. Go figure, he obviously didn't want our business. Has anyone heard of this brand? and why would he not want to deal with the paradigm? did he not know about the new series that just came out? is that possible? seemed pretty strange to me... so we left that store... buddy now says he wants to just go to A&B sound to pick up a pair of Energy C-3 that he heard one day, without me there, and said he liked them. Does this speaker compare with the Paradigm 5v3 and 40's? or just more bright low end energy sound? I did read the review on soundstage, but I've also heard that isn't exactly the most impartial source either... what are your thoughts on it? I also pointed out that the center speaker drivers dont match the 6.5's on the C-3... and should I direct him to the B&W store to listen to 303's and 602's or something? anything else I should recommend to him? No imports. only local. Unfortunately I don't think there's any place in Calgary that sells JMReynaud or Triangle so those are out I guess. Suprising little selection in this city...

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I've never heard of Visonik before, but I've heard of the UHF magazine...its supposedly a very elite magazine, snobbish even...perhaps even more so than Stereophile/TAS. I've not read an article from the mag before though.

As for your question...I guess we'll have to start by asking what your budget is. If money isn't a concern(which in your case I believe is), then I'd suggest the Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE. For quite a bit less, I was extremely impressed with the PSB Stratus Mini when I auditioned it, and it can be had under $1K.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Yes have him listen to 303's and 602's. Although if he REALLY liked theParadigm 40 sound he may not like the B&W's even the 602's the bass is "different" The 40's seems to really throw the bass in your face, the 602's seem to have more of a mid bass blend which makes the bass seem non-existent, it is there just not in your face as much.

Paul Chalk

Stunt Coordinator
Have you friend try out the Totem Acoustic Mite. Amazing little speakers that seem to be in your price range. I auditioned them a couple times. They produce excellent bass and create a huge sound stage, especially for their price and size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks