Best Mexican Vacation Spots

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by JohnE, Jul 11, 2003.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

So I'm looking ahead to next year's vacation and I'm thinking I'd like to go to Mexico and enjoy the beach and water for a week.

Anybody have suggestions to good destinations? I've been thinking about Cabo San Lucas and Cancun, but I'm leaning towards Cabo. The pics I've seen of Cancun kind of make it look like a Miami Beach type of getaway and I'm looking for something not so focused on nightlife. I'd prefer nice beaches with plenty to do, but a bit more on the quiet side.

Any thought?

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Playa Del Carmen is nice. It's about 30 miles south of Cancun. Lots of reasonably priced all-inclusive resorts. I stayed at a resort there in May called the Iberostar Quetzal and I'd highly recommend it. The area is quiet, yet there are plenty of nearby attractions, such as Mayan ruins, Cozumel, jungles, lagoons, etc.

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

Steve stole the words right out of my (virtual) mouth.

My wife and I honeymooned in Playa del Carmen a couple of months ago and it's a wonderful place. Best beach I've ever seen. We stayed at the Riu Palace.

4. Chris Cancienne

Check in to Cozumel. Lots of culture and definitely not "Amercan-ized" like Cancun.

5. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

The Mayan Riviera....located between Cancun and Playa.

The wife and I stayed there during our honeymoon a few months ago and it was incredible.

El Dorado Royale

That is the resort we stayed in. The actual resort is isolated from everything, but still plenty close to Cancun, Playa, and Tulum so you can get out if you like.

6. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

The difference between PlayaCar and Cabo is huge. Cabo is like a desert on the ocean. It's not the least bit tropical. Lots of rocky shores and stunning views. The golfing is EXCELLENT. If you are a big golfer and you want to do that on your trip, the choice is clear.

Playa, which I recommend over Cancun, is a great place also. It's a bit more touristy than Cabo in that there are parks to visit and stuff like that. I recommend Xel-Ha, a neat snorkeling park, but I wasn't crazy about Xcaret, maybe because it rained when we went (my wife swam with the dolphins). Anyway, it's very tropical, moreso than Miami. The beaches and the water are a lot nicer than Miami and the snorkeling is tons better. There's also a good bit of history, if you visit Tulum or venture out to see Chichen Itza.

If you are a big snorkeler or scuba diver, then go to Cancun.

7. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Another thing is when you plan on going. If it's July - October, you might want to stay way from Cancun just because of the inclement weather.

After reading your post, it sounds like Playa Del Carmen would be perfect for you, or Los Cabos too. Don't let the Spring Break crap scare you away from Cancun, it's also a good selection. ON the south end of the beach by Club Med, it's all nice and quiet. The trip to Los Cabos could be cheaper airfare wise if money is in issue.

Both places are great, and you'll probably one to go to each one at somepoint since they each have lots to offer. Cabo also has some whale watching if you go in Feb. or March..

8. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

And this is exactly why I asked.[​IMG]

Thanks everyone, Playa Del Carmen sounds very much like what I'm looking for.

9. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Hurricane season runs from June through November, peaking in early September. The Yucitan Peninsula area (Cancun, Playa, and Cozumel) gets lots of storms during these months. If you're going on vacation in the next 3 months, keep in mind that hurricanes and tropical storms are a real possibility in that area.

10. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Since you are saying "next year's", I'm assuming you can pick your date. You live in Washington, so if you want to get away from your mild winter (Minnesota guy here), I guess Janruary would be a good time. Just try and avoid Spring Break which is in March I believe.

Do you mean "best time of the year", in terms of weather or in terms of people? It'll be cooler in January, but not horribly so. There'll probably be a few more people, but depends on where you stay. If you go in the fall, there won't be many people there and chances are the worst weather you'll see is a rainstorm maybe once or twice.

11. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

13. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson