What's new

Best method to archive photos on a 'puter (1 Viewer)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Scott. I'm some way off from that point yet. I now have the 53 prints scanned (at 1200dpi) and they're looking good (actually, thee of them are now up on the site, massively reduced in size!). However they need a lot of work to remove dust and marks (and scanning at that res reveals a LOT). I also need to colour-correct most of them as best I can. At the moment they're all sitting on the hard drive in .bmp format - which oddly seem to load and save quick in Paint Shop Pro than the applications' native file format.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've started scanning a few 35mm negatives. I'm very impressed with how much cleaner and more detailed the images are. One particularly nice image of her (the one I used when making the order of service booklets for her funeral), which always looked dark on the print, has detail I never even knew was there.

The neg scans also need a huge amount less 'cleaning' (i.e. clone-brush touch up). Very impressive. I would have preferred a dedicated neg scanner, perhaps a 4000dpi model, but cost is a big factor and I'd have to spend a LOT to get that kind of equipment. The Epson cost me £280. I probably would have spent three or four times that (or more) on a dedicated neg scanner and it wouldn't have the lovely flatbed ability of the Epson. A terrific buy, really. I'm very pleased with it. It's a lot of money for a scanner in todays market, but the results are showing where the money has gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks