Best Material

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by CalvinCarr, Apr 6, 2004.

1. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

What is the best material for each speaker....Tweeter, Sub, etc...And what would be considered the best enclosure for each?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You've asked a question to which there is no definitive answer. Not all drivers can be used in any cabinet. A speaker is a system, composed of drivers, crossovers, and the cabinet and a good designer considers all of these and is well aware that choices involve compromises that must be balanced in order to get the final product at a particular price point. That said, there will be manufacturers that specialize in particular designs or performance criteria such as ribbons, electrostatics, sealed, vented, narrow dispersion, wide dispersion, bipoles, etc. I'd be more concerned with speakers that have fairly low distortion, particular attention to flat FR across the midrange, then it's just a matter of finding those that appeal to you at whatever you can afford.

3. CalvinCarr

O.k. let me re-phrase. What in your opinions are the best of both worlds?

4. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Are you talking about the material the cabinets are made out of? The cones/domes themselves? What?

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

This is not a matter of opinion as to which works 'best'. All materials of construction involve tradeoffs and one can find very competent examples of say metal tweeters and silk and absolutely horrendous designs. Further there are issues such as how well the entire assembly is fabricated that can affect the quality and resultant sounds. I'll simply say that piezo tweeters suck but they work great as car alarms.
    One can take a highly regarded midrange and totally screw it up my mating it with another highly regarded woofer that doesn't match properly. If you're thinking about basing your decision on what speakers you should be considering by whether the woofer is carbon composite, treated paper, polypropylene, etc. or something like that, then you may well find that you've excluded brands that you might've liked better.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

this is a nothing question, and without learning everything there is to know about speaker design, the answer is: whichever final product sounds best to you.

7. CalvinCarr

Thank you Chris for that very informative reponse. I understand that it is up to me what sounds good to me. I have no problems making decisions for myself. I guess you didn't have an opinion though.

The question is based on you experience what has been a good or bad combination of materials for drivers and enclosure? Maybe someone has tried cardboard with a Bose speaker and it sounded great?...[​IMG]

Really though..Is there a particular type of real wood that gives a better response due to the density etc?

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Ususally a heavy, dense, inert type enclosure is best, most of the time this means MDF/HDF, or some other type of dense non-resonating material.

Drivers are vary too, but there are characteristics between different quality driver designs and materials, but I am not experience enough to go into detail, and subjective preference about what's better certainly varies. If you have particular concerns about some speakers that might help, but such a broad question is paramount to asking "which speaker is best."

Impossible to say, but if you narrow things down to a few, you can get some input which may help you listen for things when you audition.