What's new

Best Mains For Under $1200 (1 Viewer)

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm about to rebuild my music/HT system starting with the purchase of the best mains I can get for around $1200. I plan on using them for about 60-40 music/HT, powered by a Yamaha RX-V595 (70Wx5). I'm either considering getting two floorstanders, or two bookshelf speakers and a sub. With all this in mind, and the $1200 budget constraint, I'd like to know what you all think would give me the best bang for my buck.

Thanks,

Justin

Doug Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Klipsch RF-3 (floor) or RB-5 (bookshelf). If you are OK with buying from a "good" unauthorized dealer, you can fit these into your budget.

SVS 25-31 or 20-39PCi subwoofer, with either choice. For HT, you're going to want a sub.

Doug

Miles_P

Auditioning
Justin,

You should also look at Paradigm Monitor series, I own a pair of Monitor 7's (650/pair) and have listened to the 9's and 11's with a Yamaha receiver and it sounded pretty amazing in my non-expert opinion.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Definately get a pair of bookshelf speakers and a sub. You need a sub anyway for HT. And bookshelf speakers will give you much better sound at any given price point.
Try this. Visit www.av123.com. Call them up and ask what kind of deal they will give you on a Hsu VTF-3 sub if you buy a pair of their most excellent Divas by Swans 2.1 bookshelf speakers. The 2.1's run $500. The VTF-3 is normally $850, but they should be able to knock off $100, maybe even $150 if you ask real nicely. The 2.1's are on the short list of best bookshelf speakers for under a grand, and it looks like the VTF-3 is one of the best subs anywhere under 2 grand. Alternatively, you can get the Diva 4.1 towers and the VTF-2, but I recommend the former.
And if you get the VTF-3, please report back here on your impressions of it.
Good luck.

kevitra

Second Unit
ACI Sapphire IIIs are one of the best bookshelves I have heard. They run $1200 a pair from www.audioc.com Check out the reviews at audioreview.com or search at the Asylum for info on them.
They are discontinued, so you might be able to get a discount (they are discontinued because the Focal woofer is discontinued).

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Take a serious look at the VMPS RM1 (Ribbon Monitor one)
It lists for $1580 but can be found for less. Although all the suggestions are very good, you're looking for rather efficient floor standers, for 60/40 music/movies and good quality.
These speakers fit that bill and then some. They are Audiophile quality with rock and roll efficiency.
89db efficiency and rated 4ohms so your 70 watt Yammie is really over 100 watts with this speaker.
It also hits a solid 32HZ and 112db SPL.
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/rmonpic.htm
Check them out if you are really looking to get the greatest value for your mains.
John Casler
YGM

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Paradigm Studio40s and a sub would be great. If the 40s are too much get them with the laminate instead of the veneer.

Also you could get something from the Monitor series plus a sub.

Also worth considering are the Boston Acoustics reference series and even the Energy Connoisseur series is really nice.

Have fun!

- Mike

B&W DM603s3. All the qualities of the 601's in a floor-stander, and they look great to boot. I use them with a sub for movies and full range without a sub for stereo.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks