What's new

best main tower speakers ? (1 Viewer)

Danny D

Auditioning
Hi,

I am starting to build a HT/music room (16x26) for my home. After researching I am going to get a HK AVR630 for my audio design setup. What would be the best quality Tower Speakers for under $1k/pair? How are some models availabe from Bose, Infinity, Klipsch, B&W, Polk should I go for an audition ? Beside HT , I'm a smooth jazz listener so sound quality from a drum hihat, cymbals, & all detail instrument sounds is critical. Thanks for advices.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Danny I don’t think that there is a ‘best’ speaker. Even if you limit to the under $1,000 range. There may well be a speaker that sounds ‘best’ to you, but that would not be at top of my list (and the other way around).

I normally recommend that people consider some of the Internet-direct companies, as I think that many provide very fine value for the price. You might want to check out Axiom, a forum sponsor. Their top two models are just under and just over your budget. You can get Swan speakers, another forum sponsor for around your budget, as well. AV123 is running a pretty good sale on their
RS 550 models right now and at that $700/pr price are an outstanding value.

They are pretty flat to about 40 hz, so they would be OK for your musical preferences, without a sub.

I do think that if you are a very critical listener, you might prefer the 750s for music. But they are a bit outside your budget—I do find the 750s to be a bit tighter in the mid-bass and lower-mid-range than the 550s.

So that you are aware, I chose the 550s for my primary HT use, but I also am very pleased with their reproduction for music as well.

In the end, though it is the sound that you prefer.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
NHT ST-4s do a nice job of being a neutral speaker, perfect for those jazz recordings. Definitely worth an audition. Right at $1K/pr. If you were strickly doing HT, I would recommend checking out Mirage OM-250/260 as well.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Danny,

Gather some CD's and movies that you know well and start driving. There really is no substitution for auditioning speakers and spending some time with them. Take a few days and visit your local dealers. Pay attention to what you like about each set. Decide if you like metal vs. fabric tweeters. Strong mids vs subtle. That kind of stuff. Try everything you have access to. If you still can't find the speakers that you love, come back and tell us what you liked/disliked about the speakers you heard. With a little more info someone will be able to guide you to your perfect set. There are dozens of speakers that will work. The hard part is finding the perfect set for your ears and setup. I didn't do this and ended up with a set of speakers that will be sold shortly.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I think with what you like to listen to I would try out something in the Klipsch line or B&W line. Of the ones you mentioned I think you'll like those two lines the best for your music (what you like) preference.

But you must go hear them for yourself to make the final decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks