Best "low end" flat 27" TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Seth_L, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I'm looking to get a "low end" (~$500) Flat 27" TV. I'm planning on getting a LCD projector (Sony HS10) for serious movie viewing, but I don't really want to put hours on the bulb to watch CNN, nor do I really want to watch Wolf Blitzer head at 5' tall on my screen.

So, along those lines what's a good TV for me?

I've read a lot of good things about the JVC AV-27F713 and it's silver clone the AV-27F703. I've also been looked at Toshiba 27AF42, Sony KV-27FS100, and the Panasonic 27SX12.

Should I discard any of these from consideration due to serious flaws, or a short warranty (Sony), or does anyone have any other tips or suggestions?

Seth

2. ian_graven

ian_graven Extra

I have the sony television and absolutley love it. In fact the sonys are the only CRT TV we spec. I work for an audovisual design firm and the stuff we spec hass to last

3. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Well I compared all the TVs in question (except for the Toshiba) at Circuit City during lunch and I was underwhelmed. They all looked about the same. I wasn't really happy with the image quality of any of them. They just seem so coarse. Granted I'm used to sitting arms length from a 19" monitor that runs 1600x1200 at home and arms length from a 15" 1400x1050 LCD at work, but I didn't think that would taint my opinion so much.

Bottom line is I wouldn't spend $500 on any of those TVs. I just didn't find the image quality to be good enough. The 27" Zenith HDTV monitor for $699 however did catch my eye. I found it to be much better than the other standard analog 27" TVs. I'll have to see how it compares to Samsung's 27" HDTV monitor.

Seth

4. JoseEduardo

JoseEduardo Second Unit

BEST BUY SELLS A 27' FLAT SCREEN MADE BY ADVENT FOR 350

5. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Yes they do Jose, but there's a reason why it's only $350. I'd like to know what that reason is before I'd consider buying it.

Seth

6. Scott_AH

Scott_AH Stunt Coordinator

Steer clear of the Advent at all costs! We just started carrying this TV where I work and the display has already died after 1-1/2 weeks. Perhaps this is a fluke but I highly doubt it.

Scott

7. Jimmy_V

Jimmy_V Auditioning

I just bought the Samsung TXM2792 for $399 from Amazon. They have FREE shipping on it. It's a great TV for the price and has a lot of features. It even has the 16:9 "squeeze mode" to watch 4:3 material in widescreen. This feature is accessed via the Service Mode. I bought this TV because of price, features, dark gray cabinet (not Silver like most Sony Wega imitations).

Anyway, I'm still learning about this TV and tweaking it. If anyone has suggestions about its settings in the Service Mode which improve performance, please let me know. Thanks!

jimmy

8. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I work part-time as a tech for best buy and the Advents have been really bad--a lot of them dead or with obvious manufacturing flaws out of the box...

9. Rob Buonpastore

Rob Buonpastore Auditioning

Yeh my dad bought an advent a little over a year ago, even though I told him not to. After about 6 months a bulb burned out I think, so we had to take it back to BB for a replacement. They told him he could get any TV he wants and what does he do? Buy another advent. [​IMG] He'll never learn.
    Whatever you buy make sure its not an advent.

10. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

a question: what kind of cable do you have? do you think that with your cable service the picture quality of the television and not the cable source will be the limiting factor? i know the cable i have is not all that great looking and no tv is going to make it look spectacular to watch.

11. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I thought I'd piggyback on this thread since I'm also looking for a TV for a similar application: just watching plain old basic cable -- no receiver, DVD, or VCR hooked up to it.

Wal-Mart and Sam's Club have several different Panasonic, Philips, and JVC models. Any recommendations, horror stories?

I have a Toshiba RPTV whose internal speakers went out 3 weeks after buying it -- and an overpriced Sony 24" flat screen that is nice, but not worth what I paid for it.

I'm leaning toward a 27" Panasonic TAU flat screen model. Although I would prefer black, IMHO it has the best looking cabinet of the bunch. (I like the Philips cabinets too, but the volume/channel controls are on the top of the cabinet -- I need them on the front) Improved sound, and a decent remote.

However reliability is my primary concern. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

12. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I have a Panasonic set my self and abosolutely love it, I've got it calibrated and it looks fantastic compared to many comparable sets the only other set I've seen thats impressed me is the newer Samsung tubes especially at there price point.