1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best low-end DVD player out of these?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Harvey, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

Hello all, I am about to finish my home theater and the last component is the DVD player replacing the PS2. I have a choice of getting either Toshiba, Pioneer, JVC or RCA. I only need an interlaced player since I have the Toshiba 36AFX61 television. Which of those companies provide the DVD player with the best picture (No internal decoders required) flat out and best extras. Currently I am wavering towards the Toshiba SD-2710. Nothing over $250 american please...

2. David_D_C

David_D_C Agent

I have the SD-2700 and i'm very impressed with it. Infact, I can't think of one thing I don't like about it. I believe the only difference between it and the SD-2710 is the 2700 has HDCD decoding and the 2710 has MP3.
    Get it!

3. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

i have the toshiba, it is great. never had any problems with it. get one!
    ------------------
    GREETINGS FROM THE ROCK

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I own a Toshiba (2150) and the only thing wrong with the Toshiba is that it has excessive down-conversion artifacts. Otherwise if that doesn't bother you I would go for the Toshiba as they are good makes if you ignore thedownconversion problems.
    ------------------
    -Keith-
    My DVD's

5. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I have the Pioneer 343 and think its picture is great. I've never noticed any down conversion problems on my 32" TV nor seen anyone else mention a problem with that.
    My only complaint with it is that the Fast-Forward and -Reverse are too fast (making it hard to back up a couple of seconds if you couldn't understand something that was said) and not smooth - the picture appears to just jump from frame to frame making it hard to see what you're looking at and find the scene you want.
    I guess I was spoiled by my Sony player which had perfectly smooth scans and 3 different speeds! Of course it DIED like so many others and I'll take a working player with bad scanning versus a non-working player with terrific scanning any day! Can you tell I'm a little bitter over this? [​IMG]
    Rob
    ------------------
    My Equipment

6. ShanonS

ShanonS Stunt Coordinator

I'll throw in my vote for the JVC XV-S6xxx series. I bought mine a few months ago and have absolutely loved it. Look on hometheatertalk and hometheaterspot for more info on the player.
    Someone recently reviewed several players in this price range and decided on this one. I've seen them as low as $220 US at B&M's, so that would be well within your range. The recent Shootout was also fairly favorable towards this player. It does have progressive output.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd vote for the Pioneer. I've own a toshiba in past and frankly I had to sell it due to the horrible down conversion artifacts. Trust those of us that say this is not a minor problem becasue once you see them you'll always see them.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

8. Greg Harvey

Greg Harvey Extra

Well I ended up getting the Pioneer DV-440. It was a toss-up going into the store and I figured that they should have one of the two. They only had the Pioneer and there was a no tax sale on it so I got it at $300 Canadian flat. Haven't rented a DVD yet so I can't judge how well the player performs...

9. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the toshiba sd-7210 and i'm quite please with it and would recommend it to anyone. You might also consider the panasonic, two excellent machine.

10. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a Panasonic RV-31 about a week ago. I love it. [​IMG]

11. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

Let me second the recommendation of the Panny RV-31. The MP3 playing feature is not very fancy and pretty limited. However, it makes up for a lack of features with superb image quality. I specifically chose this model because it does not have the chroma bug and Panasonic makes great MPEG2 decoder chips. The unit is slim and elegant looking. Keep in mind that the unit is optical-out only so make sure your receiver has enough optical inputs.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, I was going to suggest the Pioneer DV-440. Granted I don't have one and haven't even seen it yet firsthand, but I like what I have read and seen in pictures. The combination of Pioneer's excellent reputation with DVD players, small footprint, MP3 CD playback, and 24/192 Burr-Brown DAC all for $200 make the '440 look like a winner. My girlfriend has a Pioneer DV-C503 DVD changer, and it's a great machine for the price. Pioneer seems to always turn out great budget players.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime