What's new

Best Looking Catalog DVDs (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The German DVD of Night People is very good. I was pleased and surprised. DVD normally struggles when presenting a Cinemascope film shot with Bausch & Lomb lenses but this disc does well.

Night People 2.png

I was surprised to see color was by Technicolor and not Deluxe which I always thought was standard at Fox in the 1950s.

Night People 5.png

That actress in the white blouse is Marianne Koch whom many people will know from A Fistful Of Dollars. I didn't recognise her at first!

Night People does not have much of a reputation and was belittled when it first came out, but I like the film and always find it interesting. I also like Gregory Peck and Rita Gam!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robin9 said:
The German DVD of Night People is very good. I was pleased and surprised. DVD normally struggles when presenting a Cinemascope film shot with Bausch & Lomb lenses but this disc does well.

attachicon.gif
Night People 2.png

I was surprised to see color was by Technicolor and not Deluxe which I always thought was standard at Fox in the 1950s.

attachicon.gif
Night People 5.png

That actress in the white blouse is Marianne Koch whom many people will know from A Fistful Of Dollars. I didn't recognise her at first!

Night People does not have much of a reputation and was belittled when it first came out, but I like the film and always find it interesting. I also like Gregory Peck and Rita Gam!

Are the screencaps from the disc? Very impressive detail in them. Looking at the trees in the distance, there is a lot of detail. I've lost count of the DVDs where distant trees appear as green blurry blobs.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Is this the DVD for Night People? Also, is it anamorphic?

Yes, that's the disc and yes, it is anamorphic. I took those screen caps from the disc via VLC Media Player.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Dr Griffin said:
Are the screencaps from the disc? Very impressive detail in them. Looking at the trees in the distance, there is a lot of detail. I've lost count of the DVDs where distant trees appear as green blurry blobs.

Yes, I took them myself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
Yes, that's the disc and yes, it is anamorphic. I took those screen caps from the disc via VLC Media Player.
Thank you. I ordered it this morning as I'm very fond of Night People.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The 2007 MGM/20th Century Fox issue of Laurel & Hardy's 1934 Yuletide Classic, BABES IN TOYLAND (Labeled MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS on a less than stunning looking Cover!) looks fantastic on DVD, owing I believe to its digital transfer having derived directly from the near pristine 35mm fine grain print! The visuals on this disc have been touted as superior to the subsequent Legend Films Blu-ray releases.

I think it should be noted that the MGM/20th Century Fox Disc contains the original Black & White version only. This has been issued as both a standalone DVD, and as part of a Holiday Collection that also includes THE BISHOP'S WIFE (1947) and A POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES (1961).

Mother Goose Emerges From The "Babes In Toyland" Storybook:

dvd_snapshot_00.01.48_2013.12.02_19.20.37.jpg

Stannie Dum Is Tickled By A Feather During The Specially Prepared Opening Credits:

dvd_snapshot_00.04.35_2013.12.02_19.27.42.jpg

CHEERS! :)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I watched the DVD of The Shoes of the Fisherman (1968) and enjoyed the production and the presentation. Full roadshow here, complete with all the music only segments. Starring Anthony Quinn and Sir Lawrence Olivier, also with John Gielgud (briefly) and David Jansen. Jansen's storyline goes nowhere and fizzles out completely, leaving me wondering at the end of the film why it was there. Otherwise it's an occasionally stirring film with Quinn as the unassuming Russian who becomes Pope.The DVD transfer looks fantastic with some deep blacks and vibrant reds (plenty of cardinal red), but was marred by a sync issue with the sound for the last 35-40 minutes! The sound did feature a directional 5.1 mix with some truly deep bass, especially from low organ notes, giving a full 70mm (blow-up) roadshow feel. Shot in Panavison. I would think this would look great on Blu-ray.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
davidmatychuk said:
"O Lucky Man" sure looked good the other night on DVD. It's on two discs, which could have something to do with it.

I watched this and agree it is a very good transfer, though it appears it has been 'degrained' - less of a problem on DVD vs Blu-ray. Nice package and splitting the film over 2 DVDs was a bit of a surprise, but appreciated.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dr Griffin said:
I watched this and agree it is a very good transfer, though it appears it has been 'degrained' - less of a problem on DVD vs Blu-ray. Nice package and splitting the film over 2 DVDs was a bit of a surprise, but appreciated.
Warner also put their "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being" on two DVD's. It, too, looks very nice, though now I suppose I'll have to compare it this evening to the Criterion DVD, which presented the film all on one disc (any excuse to watch one of my all-time favourites). I'll report later.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'm revising this 45 minutes after posting it, because my double-blind test was too tricky for my own good. I apologize for my confusion. The Criterion DVD appears to be slightly edge-enhanced, and the Warner DVDs have a smoother, more film-like image. The Criterion DVD may have slightly stronger audio, but it might also just be a bit louder. And the Warner DVDs have exclusive extras, a 31-minute featurette and a trailer. The same commentary is on both versions. So the Criterion edition has the convenience of the movie being all on one DVD, but the Warner DVDs are superior in some significant ways. The covers are a push; I like them both. And what a movie!

IMG_2629.JPG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:

attachicon.gif
Night People 2.png

attachicon.gif
Night People 5.png

My DVD arrived today, but unfortunately the DVD case was damaged and the disc itself has dimples in it and won't play all the way through. Now, I have to go to the trouble of returning it back to German Amazon.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
I'm revising this 45 minutes after posting it, because my double-blind test was too tricky for my own good. I apologize for my confusion. The Criterion DVD appears to be slightly edge-enhanced, and the Warner DVDs have a smoother, more film-like image. The Criterion DVD may have slightly stronger audio, but it might also just be a bit louder. And the Warner DVDs have exclusive extras, a 31-minute featurette and a trailer. The same commentary is on both versions. So the Criterion edition has the convenience of the movie being all on one DVD, but the Warner DVDs are superior in some significant ways. The covers are a push; I like them both. And what a movie!

attachicon.gif
IMG_2629.JPG
Hi David!

In short, you've described "The Unbearable Heaviness Of Quality Comparisons!" ;)

Kidding aside, I'll have to check out THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING sometime, as I've heard so much praise about this title over the decades! My recollection is that the 1968 Prague Spring is the setting for this.

Tony

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Tony Bensley said:
Hi David!

In short, you've described "The Unbearable Heaviness Of Quality Comparisons!" ;)

Kidding aside, I'll have to check out THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING sometime, as I've heard so much praise about this title over the decades! My recollection is that the 1968 Prague Spring is the setting for this.

Tony
Prague 1968 it is. It's sexy and cerebral in equal parts, but I can only recommend it to people who find Juliette Binoche, Lena Olin, and/or Daniel Day-Lewis sexy and cerebral. Also, speaking of quality comparisons, that delay of several seconds waiting for the HDMI "handshake" makes toggling between a DVD or Blu-Ray and any other source much more difficult than toggling between laserdisc and VHS used to be. It used to be easy to demonstrate the superiority of laserdisc over VHS to people, clicking back and forth with no delay at all. That's progress for you: one step forward, one "handshake" back.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
davidmatychuk said:
Prague 1968 it is. It's sexy and cerebral in equal parts, but I can only recommend it to people who find Juliette Binoche, Lena Olin, and/or Daniel Day-Lewis sexy and cerebral. Also, speaking of quality comparisons, that delay of several seconds waiting for the HDMI "handshake" makes toggling between a DVD or Blu-Ray and any other source much more difficult than toggling between laserdisc and VHS used to be. It used to be easy to demonstrate the superiority of laserdisc over VHS to people, clicking back and forth with no delay at all. That's progress for you: one step forward, one "handshake" back.
In some ways, the lengthy "Handshake" is almost a reminder of my childhood, when it would take about 20 seconds for our TV to "Warm up," the only difference being that the Image on the Picture Tube would slowly fade in, rather than abruptly appear! I can still recall when Solid State seemed so "Space Age!"

In an attempt to stay on Topic, I'll note that one TV program that was enjoying syndication at this time in the early 1970's, THE MUNSTERS, has a rather nice looking DVD Release! I realize this isn't in keeping with the prevailing Cinematic theme, but then, this isn't specified in either this Topic's Title or the Tags! Besides, I'm confident that the included Theatrical Release of MUNSTER, GO HOME (Of which, I once caught part of a B&W TV Broadcast, during a bout with the Mumps as a 9 year old in the summer of 1973!) looks quite good, also!

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Tony Bensley said:
In some ways, the lengthy "Handshake" is almost a reminder of my childhood, when it would take about 20 seconds for our TV to "Warm up," the only difference being that the Image on the Picture Tube would slowly fade in, rather than abruptly appear! I can still recall when Solid State seemed so "Space Age!"

In an attempt to stay on Topic, I'll note that one TV program that was enjoying syndication at this time in the early 1970's, THE MUNSTERS, has a rather nice looking DVD Release! I realize this isn't in keeping with the prevailing Cinematic theme, but then, this isn't specified in either this Topic's Title or the Tags! Besides, I'm confident that the included Theatrical Release of MUNSTER, GO HOME (Of which, I once caught part of a B&W TV Broadcast, during a bout with the Mumps as a 9 year old in the summer of 1973!) looks quite good, also!

Yes, TV shows can look good on DVD too! I'm a Munsters fan! I have a 1963 Zenith console TV that requires several seconds to 'warm up', and everytime is suspenseful. I keep it working though, but have had some costly repairs - not too many around who will work on them, and parts usually come from other old TVs. It involves fiddling with controls everytime, such as vertical hold, but once it warms up it's great. I use it mainly for vintage TV programs or old B&W movies.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Dr Griffin said:
Yes, TV shows can look good on DVD too! I'm a Munsters fan! I have a 1963 Zenith console TV that requires several seconds to 'warm up', and everytime is suspenseful. I keep it working though, but have had some costly repairs - not too many around who will work on them, and parts usually come from other old TVs. It involves fiddling with controls everytime, such as vertical hold, but once it warms up it's great. I use it mainly for vintage TV programs or old B&W movies.
Fantastic! The authentic vintage TV experience! With flat panel sales flattening and young people watching YouTube on their damn phones, I believe you have located a new home theatre frontier! When is some enterprising TV manufacturer going to realize that there's a completely untapped market of people who grew up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's who would love a well-built modern version of one of those vintage TV's, HD and 16X9 be damned, to do just what you're doing with your Zenith? I know I would, and while I'm waiting, I'm now officially on the lookout for a good, old, good old TV of my own.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
davidmatychuk said:
Fantastic! The authentic vintage TV experience! With flat panel sales flattening and young people watching YouTube on their damn phones, I believe you have located a new home theatre frontier! When is some enterprising TV manufacturer going to realize that there's a completely untapped market of people who grew up in the 50's, 60's, and 70's who would love a well-built modern version of one of those vintage TV's, HD and 16X9 be damned, to do just what you're doing with your Zenith? I know I would, and while I'm waiting, I'm now officially on the lookout for a good, old, good old TV of my own.

Mine is a cool early 60s blonde wood console with angled legs that I bought at an estate sale for 15 dollars about 10 years ago. Its a big hit at parties. I've spent an additional $150 so far keeping it in working condition. If you do get one, make sure you can get it serviced, if needed, somewhere nearby. The place I found repairs newer TVs, but fortunately has a retired technician, that works part time, and used to work on the old sets. He lit up when I brought it in. :)

I also had a 1957 Olympic Hi-fi. It was 3 speaker high fidelity mono! It had a woofer, midrange and treble speakers, and sounded fantastic. It had all the original tubes! The only thing I had to do to it was repair the radio dail with some fishing line! It had a phonograph also, and I started collecting hi-fi mono records of the era. Nothing now sounds like this thing did - it can't be duplicated. I sold it about 5 years ago to a collector.

This is similar to the Olympic I had, but mine was a bit older:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgmURbwdyU&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks