Best looking and sounding speakers 4 600$ ?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joey P, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Joey P

Joey P Auditioning

need to replace my bookshelves, considering floor speakers as well. Wondering what the general consensus is....or is it all basically a matter of preference? I have paradigm sub/surround/center, and cerwin vegas for the left and right. Would like a little more base and power, and some style would be nice too[​IMG] any suggestions?

2. josh.s

josh.s Auditioning

I just got a pair of Magnepan (magnepan.com) MMG's about a week ago for $550 shipped and I couldn't be happier. I think everyone around here will tell you to go audition as many speakers as you can and make the decision for yourself, but I highly recommend that you check out a pair of Magnepan MG12's if there's a dealer in your area (see the dealer locator on their website). The MMG's are factory direct only, but I found them to be very very similar to the MG12's that I was able to listen to.

These speakers aren't for everyone. They're pretty large...about 4 feet tall and 18 inches wide, but less than 2 inches deep. You can see the exact dimensions and other specs on the Magnepan website. The best way I can describe the sound is very natural. I listened to a pair of more expensive traditional box speakers at the same store and they sounded...well boxy. Like I said before, audition as many speakers as you can and decide on what YOU like. I like Magnepan so that's my suggestion.

3. Scott_L

Scott_L Agent

Scott
    Audition the Infinity Alpha 40's at your local Circuit City.
    I picked up a pair there for about $570. I'm happy. What I've learned here. It's mostly subjective...unlike absolute truth. [​IMG]

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I liked the Klipsch SB-2's and SB-3's for bookshelves and the SF-1's and SF-2's for floorstanders. They sounded awesome, you can find them at Bestbuy if you have one around you.

Not to mention BB carries some Athena stuff which they are also pretty good and they won't kill your bank either.

5. Joey P

Joey P Auditioning

[​IMG] Hey thanks for all the input, now I have a starting point...

6. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

7. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I'll second Richard's suggestion. The RS150's rosewood finish is simply awesome looking, and sound is great.

Also, I like the Yamaha NS series from BB (looks and sounds good). Also you might want to take a look at some of the newer JBLs they carry. Looks nice, but I've yet to demo the sound.