What's new

Best LCD (Brand, size, res) for standard def content? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a particular brand or type of LCD TV that does a better job of displaying standard def content than others?

I'd also like to know of all widescreen lcd tvs have the ability to show standard def content without it being stretched and distorted? Are there menu settings to allow that on most or all lcds?

Thanks,
BrianGC

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
All of the mainstream LCDs can show standard def undistorted. There were maybe a few bargain basement, smaller sets that were missing a proper zoom mode for letterboxed 4:3 content, but I can't remember any without at least a 4:3 mode + a 16:9 mode.

I don't know that you should even worry about standard def content anymore; analog TV is basically dead, even the analog that remains on cable is now a hack job cutting off the sides of the HD feed. All the major cable channels have an HD version or one coming soon. All the "SD" stuff I see these days is upconverted at the station, I don't have any of the SD channels programmed into my DVR channel list anymore.

SD DVD looks good on any decent set.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Standard definition material looks poor on any HD set, in my opinion. I have yet to see SD on an HD set that didn't look worse than it does on a standard def set of equivalent size. Unless you intend on watching mostly HD content, I'd stick with a good, standard CRT for the time being.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Much depends on the source. Garbage in, garbage out. Compared to HD material, SD does look like crap. Now if you have nothing to compare it to (no HD), then it will be passable on smaller sets. The bigger you make it, the worse it will look.

FWIW, I have DirecTV. The few (very few) times I watch SD it looks "OK". I have a 61" LCoS TV, a 51" rear projection TV, and a 42" LCD. It looks best on the LCD (again, size matters).

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you intend on watching mostly HD content, I'd stick with a good, standard CRT for the time being.
I've got a Series 2 Tivo and VCR I use alot. That, along with the fact that I've got some vision problems that apparently don't allow me to see the full benefit of HD would probably steer me to a SD CRT model if my set dies. The only problem is that I don't think you can even buy one of those anymore, at least not around where I live. If I do have to get a new set, it would most likely be 32" or maybe 37", to be used in a bedroom about 5' to 6' past the end of a Queen size bed.

BGC

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't know of any TVs that don't offer the ability to display in 3:2. The problem is you usually have to select that option and they provide various levels of ease to do this. Of my three TVs, one has the option available from a designated button on the remote, one you have to go deep into a menu, and the other has it in a shallow menu and another button directly on the TV.

My advise is to look for one that has a designated remote button.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That, along with the fact that I've got some vision problems that apparently don't allow me to see the full benefit of HD would probably steer me to a SD CRT model if my set dies. The only problem is that I don't think you can even buy one of those anymore, at least not around where I live.
If you're looking for CRT sets, there are some great deals on Craigslist and similar classified sites. In my area, I've seen fairly new 36" Sony's - the ones with a 16:9 mode - selling for $150.

I picked up a bedroom set this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks