Best L/C/R HT Speakers for $1500.00???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shawn Keeler, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for the best sounding L/C/R Speakers for my home theater. I am looking at spending about $1500-$2000. Let me know what you would buy!!!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

rocket 550x plus a Rocket 200 for the center speaker would work very well.

I am reasonably sure that you could get a modest discount if you ordered both together. In fact if you ordered package #3, you could get the RS300s as surrounds and still come in under $2,000.

Thjese are what I have up front, so you may take my prejudice into account. Even so, that center speaker is a really fine value. Right now you can bet the ebony cabinet for the same price as the rosewood. Those are the only two finishes however.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Klipsch RF3 II's for the front, $425 for each one.

Klipsch RC3 II for the center, $350.

That is about $1200 for those three and if your looking to do two rears you got $300 to spend which should get you some decent rears. Enjoy.

5. george king

george king Supporting Actor

3 GR Research AV-2s if the budget was $1500
    1 AV-2 and a pair of AV-3s if the budget was $2000

pics can be found at www.gr-research.com.

Hope this helps.

6. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

B&W 603 S3s ($1,000/pr)
    B&W LCR600 for the center ($500)

Thats list price but you should be able to get 10% off at most places.

7. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i would go with axiom or ascend. most accurate sounding speakers for this price imo.

8. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

I would try to find the M&K S-150 THX speakers if I had a dedicated HT.

Keith

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

What kind of display do you have? If you have room for a tower in the center i'd go w/ 3 Swan's Diva 5.2s or 6.1s, or maybe 3 Rocket 550s.

Otherwise 550s/200, 6.1/C3, or 3 AV2s would all be great.

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    George beat me too it [​IMG] I'll second three GR A/V-2s. This is my front stage. It's going to be tough to beat them at this price.

11. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I would throw in another vote for the Onix Rocket speakers. I think you will be hard pressed to find a center speaker that will keep up with the 200 in this price range. The 2 companies that I would consider are www.av123.com and www.audioc.com Good luck with your decision! [​IMG]

12. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

I can find one - try 3 NHT M5's across the front. For approx. $1500 you can get some speakers that compare favorably with more expensive speaker. Really, all I'm saying is give them a listen. Excellent for both HT and music. And, no, I'm trying to pick a fight with all the Rocket people running around. Just saying that there are other good values for speakers on the market without having to go the Internet route.

13. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was very impressed with the M5s and M6s. Among the better of the speakers I auditioned when looking for my front stage, and the cabinets look great to boot.

E-mail them or give GR a call and get a pair sent out to you for audition. I did, and I ended up buying a set. [​IMG]

14. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

My vote:

Phase Technology PC 3.1 Series II. Very, very detailed and warm, not harsh at all. Excellent for music and movies. I use one as a center with a pair of PC 9.1's. Three 3.1's would make a nice front soundstage. $600 each = $1800. They are -3db at 38hz.

http://www.phasetech.com/products/html/products_frameset.html

15. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

To answer the question earilier. I have projector and size is pretty unlimited. I just want the best, seamless sound possible for the money. "Charles D" what do you think about 3-B&W LCR600s?

16. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Since you have room upfront I would personaly go with 3 towers. If DIY is an option, 3 AV3s would be well within your price range (under $1k w/ sonicap upgrade and pre-cut baffle and some basic finish) and probably sound better than anything else in the pirce range. If you can't DIY, a pair of pre-built AV3s and a prebuilt AV2 as the center would come in under $2k and was previously recomended. 3 Swan's Diva 6.1s in black cherry would come in around $1300 or 3 Swan's Diva 550s around $1250. You could probably even get AV123 to cut you a deal on a pair of 750s and a RSC200 for under $2k and would probably be as good for HT since the 200 is a very highly touter center channel.

17. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Shawn,

I actually have the LCR60 center myself. The LCR600 is a bigger version of the same speaker. I'm very happy with the way LCR60 sounds personally. As others have said the best thing to do is to listen to the various options and pick the speakers that sound best to you.

B&W 600 S3 speakers