Best Kurusawa samarai DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, May 19, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I've already got Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Ran.

What others would you pick up? How's Hidden Fortress or Throne of Blood?

chris

2. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Throne of Blood isn't out on DVD (at least in R1) so that's pretty much ruled out.
    That leaves just Sanjuro and The Hidden Fortress. This is probably the minority opinion but I prefer Sanjuro -- it's just over-the-top fun (love that arterial spray) whereas The Hidden Fortress is more epic in scope and quite frankly got pretty "draggy" at times. Unfortunately the Sanjuro DVD leaves something to be desired, but since you have the current edition of Ran you probably won't think it too bad [​IMG]

3. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

Sanjuro is one of his best. Its a companion piece to Yojimbo. I found it highly entertaininng and very enjoyable. In fact it is my fav of the kurosawa samurai movies.

Hidden fortress is very good as is Throne of Blood. (a remake of macbeth) Kagemusha was also a great movie, but it doesn't quite live up to some of his earlier samurai works.

4. Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin Stunt Coordinator

I love both of these films - but I thought Hidden Fortress had much more comic relief in it - the two low lifes that Toshiro Mifune keeps tricking into helping him were hilarious!

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

All of Kurosawa's samurai films are at least very good. Definitely pick up The Hidden Fortress and Sanjuro. Throne of Blood and Kagemusha are must-haves as well. Why these aren't out on DVD is beyond me...

6. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'll agree with most here that Hidden Fortress & Sanjuro are must haves. Just good ol Samurai fun IMO [​IMG]
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the just released and excellent Rashomon. [​IMG] While it technically is a Samurai film it leans more toward being a pure Drama vs his other Action/Adventure type Samurai films. Highly recommended though.
    Of the other Kurosawa Samurai films not released yet Throne of Blood ranks right up there with his best. I can't wait for a Criterion release. I'm a little lukewarm on Kagemusha though mainly because the version I saw a few years ago was P&S and an edited version at that. I'll give this another view when it gets released to DVD.
    One more recommendation would be Hiroshi Inagaki's fantastic Samurai Trilogy. While its obviously not by Kurosawa it ranks up there with Seven Samurai, Ran & Yojimbo IMO.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Just for the record, it's KurOsawa

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

You might want to consider Red Beard. It comes out from Criterion July 16th.

9. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

I would also have to second the samurai trilogy. Its about as good as a non Kurosawa samurai film can be. In many ways I found it more enjoyable then Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress.

10. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Kagemuska is released next month in the UK R2

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That would be KagemusHa [​IMG] We have to wait for Fox to deem R1 worthy [​IMG]