Best Insulated Garage Door?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todbnla, Sep 22, 2004.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Since we are about done on our 2nd garage I have been trying to find an insulated 12X7 garage door. A local dealer quoted less than $600 for this brand installed but the real thing that caught my attention was that it has an R factor of over 9! Anyone heard of these doors before? I look at most of the big brands like Clopay and most at best is like an R factor of 6 (insulated)

www.midamericadoor.com

2. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Just curious...did you insulate the walls too?

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

You need an insulated garage in New Orleans?

4. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Well, its going up in the shape of a garage for eventual resale value but to be honest, since we already have a 2 car on the house, this one will be insulated, sheet rocked and air conditioned and used as a play room (read: home theater hideout for the man of the house!)as I live with 4 women [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Todd Hochard

Ah, HA! Smart man.

You might consider going with a regular door, then simply building a false, temporary wall on the inside of it. That will likely provide a much better air seal, anyway.

Nice yard. I'd like to have a yard, as opposed to a 1/10 acre postage stamp. Land is upwards of $100k/acre here, these days.[​IMG]

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I agree, that's a lovely yard.

cheap and easy? get a normal metal door and get some insulated foam panels from home depot.

7. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the kind words about the yard, I have spent in the area of $10k just for fill, sod, and lot prep to build this "HT" garage, this lot is 1/2 acre and these sold for $40k, they had three left on 11/03, on 1/04 they were all sold and re-selling for $75k OBO so were in line with Orlando. [​IMG]

I am actually thinking of just not adding a garage door at this time and framing up a 12x7 panel of removable wall and stick it in place until it will be used as a garage and not a play room.

8. Todd Hochard

That's a better idea. I didn't think of that.

The real estate market is just getting depressing to me, in spite of the fact that I already own a home, and have for 10+ years. The costs have just gotten out of hand. Movin' on up? Fuggetaboutit.

9. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Same her in St. Augustine....I wanted to move back to the beach but there's no way on my pay....[​IMG]

10. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    All done but the garage door or temp wall now...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]