Best Inexpensive Receiver as Prepro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David James, Mar 11, 2004.

1. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a receiver to use primarily as a prepro for a home theater. Wattage isn't much of an issue as I have separate amps for the front channels and will only be using the receivers amps for the surrounds. It also must have flexible bass management i.e. multiple crossovers selectable for groups of channels (front/center/surround).

Cost is the other factor. Right now I'm thinking about HK 230 or 325 refurbs, which are selling in the low $300-$400 range. I would prefer to keep it around $300.

I don't see a lot of other choices that meet my criteria. Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on my current choices.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Sony 2ES or 4ES, if you can find one. You could probably pick up a used one somewhere.

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

If you want multiple crossovers selectable....the only ones that do it are Lexicon, Outlaw, HK, and I guess the Sony ES.
    I might try a HK 230 this weekend and compare it against my Pioneer 811.

4. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

Yamaha RX-V1400, no multiple crossovers but great receiver. A little over your budget so perhaps you can check out the newer RX-V740.

5. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Why not hunt down Sony's TA-E9000es prepro? It may cost you $500 but it will SMOKE any other choice for that price and under, especially ANY receiver under that.

6. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Or maybe a used HK 520 or 320. Great processing, mutliple crossovers, assignable amp channels (in case you need them) and Logic7[​IMG]

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Pioneer Elite 43TX runs about $400 or so used on audiogon. A solid 7.1 receiver, and an excellent pre/pro for that money. Has everything you could want, short of the new DPLIIx (which wasn't out when it was designed anyways).

Worth a look. And it looks damn fine in a rack too. That high gloss black metal finish. Mmmm.