Best inexpensive DIY speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tim Holyoke, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I don't know much about speakers and their technologies, but I'm technically inclined and have all the tools I'd need to build my own speakers, and I'm sure I can build my own cheaper than I could buy some brand name ones. Obviously money is an issue for me, so I'm looking for something inexpensive, however I want it to last for many years. I'm open to anything at this point. I know there are kits, am I better off going that route or buying each individual component and building from some plans found?...somewhere online? Thanks a lot for your help, and sorry I couldn't be more specific as to what I want. Thank you.

Tim

2. Chris-E-S

Chris-E-S Auditioning

I am a new DIYer myself andI started out with a set of BR-1's and love them. Real nice sound to them and they only cost $150 for the kit. You can pick them out at Parts Express.
    Svence

3. eric nyhof

eric nyhof Stunt Coordinator

check out www.speakerbuilder.net
    they've gome some great plans there. They aren't kits but they have great descriptions of the projects to build them.
    Also check out the partsexpress showcase for some great ideas.

4. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

5. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Tim,

You've already got some good suggestions, but let me throw Pi Speakers, http://www.pispeakers.com , into the mix. They supply the drivers, crossover and plans, you build and stuff the box. Depending on the size you're willing to accomodate, look at the Studio 2s (bookshelf or floorstanding) and the Theater 4s.

Good luck!

Tempest Subwoofer Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

6. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett Stunt Coordinator

I'll second selahaudio.com. I have a set of the rc2 and love them.

7. TedS

TedS Agent

And I'll second murphyblaster.com. I built the MBOW1's and think they are very nice. You can learn a lot about speaker building at the Madisound Audio Discussion Board . Dennis Murphy (of murphyblaster), Rick Craig (of Selah Audio), and several other respected speaker designers hang out there.

Ted

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

It's hard to go wrong with DIY if you choose a proven design or kit.

The Dayton BR-1s are definitely good for a beginner if you don't want to build a cabinet. They have a laid back sound with a decent amount of bass.

You'd have to spend close to $300 on a kit (not including cabinet) until you really have something that'll sound significantly better than the BR-1s.

Another option is to get GR-Research AV-1s which are under $300. I have heard both the AV-1s and the Br-1s and would have to hand it to the AV-1s for sounding less grainy. The Av-1s may sound a bit laid back for some people while others think they sound very natural and smooth.

http://www.gr-research.com/