What's new

Best HTPC for under $2000??? (1 Viewer)

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
I need to buy a home PC quickly that will allow me to share A/V files with a HTS etc. It will mainly be used by novice/novice+ users to capture/edit/export photos and video to CD and DVD. The target HTS is either a Denon 3803 or a Pioneer 45tx. The Sony Vaio in this link looks like a good fit:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...IL5in&Dept=cpu

What would you suggest????? How to share files? The video card has TV and DVI outs it appears, but no S-Video or Composite much less Component outs. Can the pc end up across the room (in-wall 10/100/1000 enet cable) or would it have to be closer (optical cable length?)? Anyone have a diagram?
I'll buy the beer!!:D :D :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to understand what you need this for.. I see "capture/edit/export photos and video to CD and DVD" but you don't need an HTPC to do these things. What kind of video would be going from your PC to the TV? And what kind of TV? An HTPC takes hours to setup and configure properly, it's important to know what you will be using it for before you buy it to save yourself from headaches later.

For basic file serving and media center use a Dell with a big HD and Radeon that has S-Video output comes to mind. Especially with the gotapex deals.

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the input. The Sony Vaio and the HP Home Media Center lines seem to have some pretty family friendly PC's for integrating into HT systems these days and the Sony especially with it's tv-out and CD and DVD burners and it's onboard 'Tivo' capabilities. I had hopes of compiling years of video and photos into archhival and edited files for burning to CD/DVD for distribution/long term storage, and for presentation in 5.1 on my HTS. I'm enjoying playing with my new digital camera and my movie camera and anticipate putting together some nice slideshows and movies for work and family. Downloading (legally!) and playing music and video files will grow considerably as I'm finally biting the bullet and paying to get broadband. So a direct (fast) link from PC to AV receiver in addition to being able to burn disks would be useful

Anybody else with any ideas? Is there a link or some other reference that goes into the details and gotcha's involved? I'm new to combining these systems, but learn quickly so I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Paul

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
If your TV has component inputs, consider using a VGA to component video converter. The quality difference between that and S-video or composite is very big for most television sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks