What's new

Best HTIB for around $500? (1 Viewer)

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
My brother finally graduated college and doesn't yet have a job, so I figured for a graduation gift I'd get him a HTIB system. I don't know much about the various systems or their quality, but I'd like to get him something that runs around $500 (could go a little higher). He presently doesn't have any components so I can't really build on anything and an HTIB seems the best choice for him and his small apartment.

But, he does listen to music alot in addition to his movie watching. So I'd like a system that sounds passable with music (2 channel or DPLII). Anybody got any suggestions?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Onkyo 770 for MSRP $499. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it sounds pretty decent for the price. I'd recommend not getting their setup that includes the DVD player, because it is $200 more, but a decent player can be had for ~$100 these days.

If he is more serious about music, consider a better 2ch setup with a stereo receiver or an integrated amp and 2 speakers.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Scott... I just ordered a Tyke system with a Kenwood 7100 receiver from AV123.com ... We are doing a review (note... NOT a comparison... :) ) ...They are selling the two as a $499 package... It may be worth a look...

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
thanks guys...i'll check into both systems.

craig, you said you are doing a review...is this for a website or something (sorry, i'm not familiar with you)? when you get the review done, i'd really like to read it. so let me know where i can read it or you can even email it to me.

if anyone else has any suggestions, i'd be happy to hear them. thanks...

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Scott... It will be posted here. I just do some review on line as a hobby... usually for good companies (Hsu, Ascend, Rocket/AV123, SVS, Swan, ACI..etc...) that don't get a lot of magazine play...

The system is due either Friday or Monday...

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
cool...i'll definitely check it out.

i checked out the AV123 website and the tykes look awesome. i'm definitely leaning heavily toward that package at this point. i've been consistently intrigued by the rockets ever since they made their appearance, so this will be a nice chance to hear what they've got (albeit at the low end of their spectrum).

but thanks for the info and i'll definitely check out your review.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Scott - It should be interesting... My wife sure likes the size of the speakers... I think posting a picture of the Tyke system on top of a B4+ would be funny...

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
FYI scott. I ordered the Tykes last week. They had B stocks for $199. You might keep your eye on them and see if they hvae more B stocks within the next few weeks. That and a decent receiver for $150 - $200 would put you at under $400.

Jason

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
jason,

thanks for the heads up. what exactly are "b stocks"? i'm assuing they're returns or something like that. do they fluctuate in availability or are they consistently available?

also, does anyonbe know how long the current deal on the tykes ($499 includeing receiver) is going to last? thanks...

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

B-stock can be a number of things. Sometimes it is the pieces that were sent to be photographed, other times it is returned also known as open-box, and it can be damaged equipment also. Usually AV123's stuff is in very good shape even if it is b-stock.

They do fluctuate in availability. It is updated on the website, but calling AV123 is best IMO since the website is slow compared to what is actual happening.

The $200 deal was a sale on top of the b-stock discount, Usually b-stock is $250 for the Tyke package.

I don't believe a certain time has been set for the current receiver deal, but the announcement says it won't last long.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Scott, IMO your better off buying seperate components. Im sure your brother has a dvd player already, so just concentrate on a 5.1 reciever and get him 2 fronts (cause he mostly listens to music) then let him upgrade to rears, center and sub later on when he can. or buy a cheap decent 5 speaker system like Fluance AV-HTB 5 speaker systemfor $200. and let him worry about the sub. that leaves you with $300 for a decent 5.1 reciever. I have the other Fluance 5 speaker set the SX-HTB's and they sound really really great for the price I paid. I highly recommend them to anyone on a tight budget.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
If size of the speakers is not that important to you, the Onkyo systems, I would say is the best bang for your buck for a HTIB system. I bought the HT-760 a while back and was blown away with the quality and sound of the system. Do a search and you will find that the Onkyo HTIB system is one of the highest rated HTIB here on this site.

Scott Stephens

Stunt Coordinator
thanks...i'll look both into the fluance and the onkyo (but the tykes have most of my attention now).

of course i would prefer to buy him separate components, but financially it's just not going to be viable for either one of us right now. i can't really afford to get him components, and he can't afford to pick up where i would have left off (assuming i just got him a receiver and 2 fronts).

and i'd say he does about 50/50 movies/music, and since he writes movie reviews for a website, i would prefer to get him a 5.1 system. when we both hit the big time we can upgrade him to some revels!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks