Best HT Setup For $1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew H, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

For awhile now, I've been watching my DVDs on my regular TV with no surround sound or anything. I now have about $1000 in which I can spend on a professional HT with speakers, a subwoofer, receiver, the works. I need everyone's opinion on which is the best that I'd be able to afford. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Matt
    Mobu? Sounds like some sort of damn car polish.
    My DVD Collection

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    lay the other stuff off 'till later and go dual-SVS [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Keeping it simple for now (since you already have a dvd player):
    1. Get the Kenwood HTB-504. This will give you immediate surround sound.
    2. Buy the cheap $79 KLH stereo receiver. This will come into play later.
    3. Buy either a SVS 25-31CS or 20-39CS. You will have upgraded the sub and stayed within budget. The SVS will undoubtly remain in your system long after the speakers and receiver have been upgraded.
    4. Sell sub that came with the HTB system.

4. Doug Samsel

Doug Samsel Extra

I think you want a more balanced system. SVS is great and I now have one but it's way over the top for a $1000 system.
    1. (5) Home Theater Direct Level Three Main Speakers ($500) www.hometheaterdirect.com
    2. (1) Sony sw-12 ($150) www.etronics.com
    3. (1) Harman Kardon avr-110-z($298). This is a remanufactured unit with full warranty. www.harmanaudio.com click on specials
    This is a balanced system that overall will give you the smoothest sound and best experience for movies, imho.
    Doug

5. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Matthew, the suggestion that BryanZ made is pretty much the program that I am working on. I have the Kenwood HTB-504 and I am enjoying it (you should be able to find this for under $500rsp easy - Sears sells this and you can find some Sears that will match any online price). Since you're making the switch directly from TV sound, you'll be very happy with the Kenwood system. It is not the end-all in HT, but what is? I've not seen many here that have no intentions to upgrade sooner or later. I also plan to upgrade the sub eventually with either the SVS 20-39CS (less than $500 again @ www.svsubwoofers.com ) or perhaps DIY (Shiva, Tempest, Maelstrom from www.adireaudio.com ) Either way, I plan to use my old Kenwood DPL receiver as an amp for the new sub. I've heard other good things about that KLH that was mentioned, though. Eventually I plan to upgrade the other 5 speakers with either Energy ( www.energy-speakers.com ) or JBL Northridge ( www.jbl.com ). Good Luck, and have fun with your new system.
    JKS
    ------------------
    My one goal in life is to live forever.
    Ya know what? . . . So far, So good! Yeah!
    [Edited last by Jeremy Stockwell on September 21, 2001 at 11:49 AM]

6. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

This system (with either receiver) will cost you less than $1000:
    Kenwood VR-507 Receiver, ~$307 delivered and you get a $50 gift check back from 800.com http://www.800.com/prod.asp?p=5067
    ------------------

7. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

This is strictly my opinion, but an initial purchase of a Kenwood HTB/$79 receiver paired with an SVS is about the craziest allocation of funds I have come across. I think that's the closest HT equivalent of a 'rollerboomer'.

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

quote: This is strictly my opinion, but an initial purchase of a Kenwood HTB/$79 receiver paired with an SVS is about the craziest allocation of funds I have come across. I think that's the closest HT equivalent of a 'rollerboomer'.[/quote]
    Not really. The HTB-504 is supposed to be one of the better HTiBs on the market today. You also need something to power the SVS, so the $79 KLH receiver is something that will do the job. He could also substitute the Adire Audio Rava and forgo buying the KLH receiver. Either way that gives him one less thing to upgrade later on.
    [Edited last by BryanZ on September 21, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer