What's new

Best HT Reciever for $3000? (1 Viewer)

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
I have $3000 - $2500 to spendon a reciever. SHould I get the B&K 307 or Pioneer 49tx? Any ideas. I had a Denon 5800 but sold it to get teh B&K cuz it sounded better with the speakers than the Denon, BUT is the pioneer better or is there a better solution for the amount I have?

Thanks

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Well Steve, I was just in your dilemma about a month ago. I wanted to buy a high end receiver and it came down to 3 models. Your 5800, the B&K and the Marantz SR-9200. I chose the Marantz. And I love it! Power, power, power. It has alot of that. It is very musical and clean. The anlog and source direct modes are great. I am actually getting ready to post a thread about it.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Look at the Integra DTR 9.1, it made the cover of Stereophile, I'm not sure but that may be a first. I am looking as well and the Denon and Integra are at the top of my list if I don't go pre/pro.

Brent

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I also recommend the Integra 9.2 or the Onkyo 989 (almost identical). They're very nice pieces and are proven to be upgradeable, unlike some other products out there... :rolleyes
www.jandr.com has the Onkyo 989 for $2199 (or maybe a little less if you beg Barry to lower it a bit). :) BTW, JandR is an Onkyo authorized reseller.

MichaelH

Auditioning
Well Steve, I was just in your dilemma about a month ago. I wanted to buy a high end receiver and it came down to 3 models. Your 5800, the B&K and the Marantz SR-9200. I chose the Marantz
Jeff, can you shed some light on the component video switching in this unit? Is it high enough in the bandwidth to do HD without noticeable signal loss? Are you using this feature at all??

Thanks in advance...

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I can go up to $3500..

What about a Marantz SR 14 EX? I see they came down in price, and Ill only be using 6 speakers max. No room for 7. Im using Monitor Audio GR60's for my mains..

Im going to try to audition the marantz line today and it will be between that and the B&K 307 which my delaer has for $2900.

The Marantz SR14EX I can get for about $2700.

Never really liked Onkyo, though I never tested out their integra line.

Any more suggestion? What would you do with $3500?

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Although I would never spend $3000 on a receiver, if I had to choose one, I would go with the B&K. Although the Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz are excellent as well, I think the B&K sounds the best, especially with music, and has a slight edge in terms of build quality and useful features (namely the adjustable crossover).

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
Well I spent all day auditioning reciever and some seperates as well. I heard

Marantz SR14EX

Marantz 9200

Pioneer Elite 49TX

ROTEL Reciever (not too good)

Rotel Seperates

Marantz Seperates

B&K AVR 307

After listening to all, th ebest sound came from the B&K piece. I also listened to teh B&K ref 30 and 5 channel amp. No difference between that and the 307. So, I tookand took home the 307! Thanks for all the help!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Michael, I am not sure how good the component video swithching is. I have all my components going directly into my tv. Sorry.

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
hey, I may just return the B&K - Im getting popping and crackling and popping noises. I researched it and found out many people have this problem!

If I do return its the Marantz 9200 as this was the next best. OR the SR14EX if I can get it ni gold and for a fair price!

Chip E

Screenwriter
popping & cracking? You researched it? Lol when today!... Seriously though, do you mean you get a clicking sound when switching sources? If this is the case, it's perfectly normal. B&K doesn't put any muting in when switching sources as to not introduce any additional circuitry into the mix IE: as clean a signal as possible. Took me a while to get used to it but, it's no big deal too me now. You'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding receiver short of going to seperates IMO.

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
yes I reserached it online, found info in 10 minutes. NO Im not talking about teh clicking when switching sources. Im not a moron! Everytime i put in a DVD it pops and crackles (well, speakers do) It didnt do this with the denon. ALSO, believeit orn ot. Today when using the reciever it did not sound nearly a s good as yesterday. I thought myhearing was going bad, everything soundedmuffled, and my monitor speakers are on the bright side so I thought it was weird. I brought in my wife who just the day before listened to Jewels "foolish games" song and we both agreed yesterday that these speakers and B&K reciever sounded as good as the $10,000 revels we heard at the dealer. It was amazing. Then today I played it for her and whe agreed..all muffled. NO I didnt mess with setting after initial setup, yes its in 2 channel stereo. Also does this in direct. EQ is off.

Its going back tomorrow and IM trying two units at home.

Pioneer 49TX (Heard in showroom)

Marantz 9200 (Also heard in showroom)

I heard the 49tx today at another dealer and it sounded amazing and the build is also amazing, better than the B&K.

I can get all at the same price so it would be an even swap.

Another option is the sunfire cinema grand amp and a good preamp..but Im trying the recievers 1st..

Ill post more when I try out the other two in my home. I think something happened to the B&K becuase it now sounds lifeless and dull.

(I also checked my speakers to make sure nothing happened to them, they are fine)

J

John Morris

Steve: I had the BK Ref 30 for a month and I noticed NO popping at all. Maybe you got a bad unit? However, I really disliked some of the ergonomics on the unit such as HOW? to program the FM presets and HOW to turn on the volume control for the zone 2 output? Anyway, if you are searching again, why not try out the new Sherwood Newcastle R-963? I would bet that this unit will never pop, crackle or snap... or anything like that.:D

Chip E

Screenwriter
Steve,

Sounds like you obviously got a bad unit. If it sounded like $10,000.00 equiptment yesterday, why not not try another one? Shit, i'm on my third one, got two defective units..

I'm running PSB Stratus Silveri main's, C6i center, Image 10S surround's and an SVS 20-39PC.

J

John Morris

Steve: I have to agree with Chip. The 307 is my favorite receiver that I've heard to date. I've never heard a pop or untoward noise with the 307. However, my listening was done with this unit instore and limited to about 5 hours or so, so I am no expert on this unit or any current receiver since I have now moved onto seperates. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I took home the marantz and the Pioneer Elite 49tx..WOW, the 49TX really surprise me BIG TIME. Sound in music is to me BETTER than the B&K (in my room and setup) - The B&K sounded to laid back and almost muffled, and iM using monitor GR60's which are know for being bright. The HT performance of the B&K was lacking behind the denon and way behind the 49tx. The DTS and DD performance of the 49TX surpased the Denon as well with a much more room filling sound, more dynamic and smoother. Its a no brainer...anyone looking for the best sounding, best looking, best built flagship the 49TX is hard to beat. Its built like a tank and at 75lbs it should be. The auto setup feature worked amazingly well. The remote is great as well. About 3 years ago I had the 29tx and loved it but this is leaps and bounds above that in sound quality. Drives my monitors without strain or problem. Im keeping this one, and at $2700 from my delaer it w as a steal. REALLY, the B&K pales in comparison, plus I do not have any popping and crackling noises from the Elite 49.

Marantz was great as well, but I preffered the 49TX due to the features, and I could not tell any diff in sound in 2 channel. IN HT, the 49 beat the marantz 9200.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Steve,
I've had a 49TX on order from Tweeter for over three weeks now. Glad you like the Pioneer, that's encourageing to hear.. I've had the 307 for almost a year now and all i can say is it had better sound AS good too me as the B&K 307 or it's go'n back hard. Tough shoes to fill. I wanted some features that the 307 doesn't have, hence the 49TX. A lateral move in sound quality might be too much to ask but i'll see, that's for sure! :D As far as the B&K paling in comparison, i doubt sonically, that's true.. but hey, we are all entitled to our opinions..like i said, i've lived with this receiver for almost a year...i know what it's capable of.
BTW, the 49TX weighs 64 pounds not 75. Just a FYI (still about 3lbs heavier than the Denon 5800 though ;) )
Taken directly from Pioneer's site:
"Dimensions"
H x D x W - 7 3/4" x 16 7/8" x 17 3/8"
Weight out of box - 64 lbs.

steve paul

Stunt Coordinator
Ooops, my mistake. Box said 74 lbs, so I took it from there. Its shorter than the 5800 which is n oce, by about 1 1/2 inches. So it fits in my rack better. Hope you enjoy it! I am!

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks