1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Best HT/Music Speakers for $1000

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by James::Mc, Aug 29, 2003.

1. James::Mc

James::Mc Extra

Looking for the best combo home thater / music speakers I can get for $1000. Looking for front, rear, center, and sub. Was looking at the Polk RM7200's. Not sure if I'm heading the right direction...And I don't need to have all the speakers be the same - just thought that would be the right direction???

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

have brian (great guy and great craftsmanship) build you his RADMicro setup. It is 5 RAD micros and a sub all for $750. go to www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I had looked at the Polk when I first actually looked at a home theatre system and a music system. The Polk for me lacked with the home theatre, it just wasn't all there, it didn't go the lower freq. that I wanted and it seemed like it just had a spot where it was empty in the mid-range to me.

The RADMicro setup I have heard alot of good things about but I haven't tried it myself personally so I can't say but it seems like a good system.

This would be my recommendation and you can easily go try it out at Bestbuy and see how you like it:

Klipsch SB-1 (Bookshelf fronts, $250 a pair)
    Klipsch SS-5 (Rear Surrounds, $280 pair)
    Klipsch SC.5 (Center Channel, $180 single)

That right there is about $710 and then you have about $290 to play around with a subwoofer. The new Klipsch RW series subwoofers are very nice but Bestbuy also carries Klipsch lower line subwoofers.

I think that the system right there would compliment a medium sized room very nicely. I also like Klipsch because they usually are a little brighter than most speakers, some people say this helps in Home Theatre, I think that movies will sound awesome of that especially if paired up with a decent subwoofer.

As for music the system should still be good and I think it will suit you very well.

Of course nobody can tell you what will sound best to you because everyone has there own opinion on how a speaker sounds. That would just be my recommendation on what to buy. I hope this helps.

4. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I bought a full 5.1 system from Brian at RAD. I went with the Micros for rears and I got the T-1 towers upfront with a C-1 center. I got a 95L Shiva sub also. It sounds awesome. If you really wanted to spend $1000 you could probably get him to do the Micros and then upgrade to another Sub to get to the $1000 mark. Like George said above the Micros system is only $750. He can finish it in many different finishes as well. I opted for the black.

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Energy Take 5.2. If the reviews don't speak for themselves, these babies rock my 14x20 bedroom. For the price, and the incredibly compact size, I don't think you'll find anything that images better than these. I'm sure a proper audition will speak for itself. I haven't heard anything that does HT and music so well.

How big is the room you're trying to fill by the way? And what receiver will you be using?

6. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

Axioms... check thier website, they have a little wizard for it.

7. Lin

Lin Extra

Check out AV123.com, the ELT package for $899

8. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

James::Mc,

Ascend Acoustics makes some great speakers for both music and HT.

http://ascendacoustics.com/Main/Intro/Firstpage.asp
    http://ascendacoustics.com/Main/Revi...dReprint.2.pdf
    http://ascendacoustics.com/Main/Revi...endreprint.pdf

They have all the charateristics of a high-end audiophile speaker -- particularly accuracy and clarity -- without compromising its ability to handle HT material. I would look at the CBM-170 L/C/R with HTM-200 surround setup for $698.

If you could get that setup with the Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer for $1148, I think you would have a great music/HT setup that I think you would have to spend considerably more in order to get noticeably better sound. But if you are capping it $1000, I would still consider the 5.0 setup and try to source a cheaper ($300) sub to complement that with the thought of potentially upgrading the sub at some point to match the quality of the other 5 speakers.

Victor

9. James::Mc

The room I will be using for the next 6 months is about 20 x 20 and two stories. After that I'll move them to a 20 x 30 space with 8 ft ceilings. Ultimately looking for the best speakers for the later space.

I am also buying a new receiver - not sure which one yet. Pioneer Elite 43 is near the top based on some responses to my receiver post...

10. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

Check out Polk at your local Circuit City, if you have one. They have most of the RTi series on clearance. I bought a CSI40 center, 2 RTi38 bookshelves, and 2 RTi28 bookshelves for surrounds for around $700.

For a receiver, check out the Harman Kardon AVR-325 at Onecall .com for $386 refurbished.

11. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would highly recommend either the Harman/Kardon AVR-225 for a 5.1 setup or the AVR-325 for a 7.1 setup. I have a AVR-225 with my Klipsch Quintets and from my old reciever to this it is like night and day. It sounds a world load of difference.

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Second on the Rocket ELT package. I heard this in Dallas and it was great.

13. James::Mc

What about the Aperion Intimus 5.1 system with 10-inch subwoofer?

14. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

15. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

That ELT system for $900 seems very nice. I haven't heard it, but the buzz is good. It also has a money back guarantee which I think is absolutely essential.

16. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Without a doubt, the ELT package will BLOW AWAY "ANYTHING" in that price range. What other package for $900 can hit REFERENCE level clean as a whistle? This is Mark's crowning achievment at AV123, to get a speaker package that good for that price.

17. JohnnyCasaba

JohnnyCasaba Agent

Have you heard the ELT's Adam?

18. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Adam,

Have you been able to compare the ELT to the RS150?

19. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I second the recommendations for Axiom and Ascend. Both represent outstanding value for the money.

I am not sure about Ascend, but Axiom does offer a free 30 day trial.

20. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Mike,

Ascend does have the 30 day trial period minus shipping. What do you mean when you say "free" for the Axioms? Free shipping?