What's new

Best horror movies with awesome soundtracks? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Mothman Prophecies has a terrific and very scary sound mix---it's one of a handful of films that have downright frightened me, and the sound mix is the primary culprit. Play it loud, in a darkened room and you may never be the same.

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
The Haunting (remake w/ Liam Neeson & Catharine Zeta Jones), has a fantastic DTS track plus great visuals.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Guillermo Del Toro's MIMIC has great surround usage and presence. Unfortunately, it's not anamorphic.

I second THE OTHERS. Absolutely awesome sound! Restrained until it needs to scare you.

For subtlety, I love the sound mix on THE GIFT.

Recently, THE RING and BELOW have both given good scares with the surround usage.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Jack Briggs said:
So far, the best horror film isn't even on DVD, though it will be this August: The Haunting, Robert Wise's 1963 adaptation of the Shirley Jackson novel. It's in black and white and monophonic sound, and nothing could be scarier.
Don't let Jack fool you. He won't come right out and say it like David Lambert, but he is actually dancing around the room naked about this recent announcement. ;)

Regards,

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I am talking about MOVIE sound, not the "CD soundtrack."
You don't want CD soundtracks, but I still gotta add my recommendation for "Spawn". The opening title sequence is SWEET! With songs from Marilyn Manson & Crystal Method, the soundtrack ROCKS!

If they came out with an updated version (DTS), I'd have to say that the entire soundtrack (music & effects) would blow you away!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
BELOW was incredible. Definitely a reference quality transfer and some of the creepiest sound this side of The Haunting. But it's more of an old-fashioned horror movie than a blood-and-guts slasher. I would almost classify it as a murder-mystery before calling it horror, but it definitely has supernatural elements. Besides... Olivia Williams is delicious! :D

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Virus has a very good soundtrack, as do Event Horizon and Deep Blue Sea. Poltergeist really has an amazing soundtrack considering its age.

Adam

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Put me down for The Haunting, one kick ass DTS soundtrack. I would have to vote for Event Horizon also. Spooky and it sounded great. The killer with Event Horizon, is that I heard it using Logic 7 from satellite, it was quite impressive.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Coppola's Dracula has a fantastic soundtrack that I find myself constantly going to when impressing guests with examples of effective atmospheres created with sound design, music and brilliant mixing. It's immersive, dynamic, and very, veerrry subtle at times. Absolutely wonderful.

The DTS track in the Superbit version is the way to go! And the video is a marked improvement over the non-Superbit release, especially when viewed on larger monitors.

Cheers!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Favorite Horror-DVD soundtracks....

Event Horizon (I still say it's a remake of The Black Hole:b)

Resident Evil (Rock your face hard!)

Bram Stoker's Dracula (Superbit DTS)

Halloween (Any version, they all have the cool synthesizer theme)

In the Mouth Of Madness (Gotta give my hometown peep John-C his props)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks