What's new

Best Horror Movies Ever... (1 Viewer)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
halloween. hands down. that's theonly movie that actually scared me. and i was like 16.

Clem

Agent
Lot of good ones listed here.

Does anyone remember or know about a made for TV movie from the 70's that stared Karen Black and was about some doll she had just purchased coming to life and tried to kill her. I think the movie was part of a threesome called "Trilogy of Horror". At the time I thought this was pretty scary. Ring a bell with anyone?

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I've always liked to divide my favorite horror films into 2 categories: funny & creepy.

Funny:

Re-Animator - only saw it for the 1st time last year & I laughed myself to tears!

Evil Dead I & II

An American Werewolf in London

Creepy:

The Thing - JCs '82 vers can still scare me sick!

The Thing From Another World 1954

Rosemary's Baby - I still can't watch the scene where she eats her midnight snack...

The Fly - I think most people will know the scene that I still can't watch.

Signs

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Clem, "Trilogy of Terror" was one of the better made for TV horror films although the other two stories paled in comparison to the story you mentioned about the African fetish doll. That one still gives me the chills. Does anyone remember a movie with Kim Darby and Jim Hutton called "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark?" That was a pretty creepy one too. It was about a housewife who lets a trio of nasty gremlin like creatures out of their imprisonment in a bricked up fireplace. That one always creeps me out.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
Clem,
I remember that Karen Black movie as well...It was called
"Trilogy of Terror
That little doll freaked me out!
There was a remake in the late 90's I believe, but it wasn't as good as the original.

The original was a good flick

Chuck,
I remember "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark"
That was a good flick also...There were some pretty decent made for TV movies back then.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Actually, the movie you mentioned was in fact a sequal, to the first "Trilogy of Terror", in which the doll is resurrected.

James, you are right in saying that there were some great TV movies made back then. That was in the same time frame as when "Kolchak:The Night Stalker" was made. Although the Kolchak made for TV movies were good, I think there were two, the TV series was not as good, although I did like it. I remember really liking a movie called "Moon of the Wolf" which starred David Janssen and Bradford Dillman, about a werewolf in the Louisiana bayous. A few months ago I bought a 10 disc set that includes 5 or 6 of the ABC "Movie of the Week" series made during the 1970's. I was pleasantly surprised to see that "Moon of the Wolf" was included. I watched it first out of the 10 and still enjoyed it thirty years later.:D

Clem

Agent
James & Chuck,
Trilogy of Terror........... Thanks, that is the one. I agree it was the best of the three. I don't even remember what the other two were about.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thank God no one has listed MAY!:D
..........yet;)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Thank goodness some people are mentioning the old films. One of my favorites...probably topping the list...is Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956. Also from that era, Fiend Without A Face, which was actually banned in some cities.

I know I'm in the minority in preferring the original The Thing from Another World to Carpenter's version, but there you are.

I'm also a big Harryhausen fan: 20 Million Miles to Earth and It Came from Beneath the Sea are favorite monster pics, though not really scary. And certain portions of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad definitely fall in the horror category.

Really scary? Halloween of course, and parts of The Ring creeped me out. My over-the-top pick would be The Re-animator.

As others said, there are many!

Jan

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Thank goodness some people are mentioned the old films. One of my favorites...probably topping the list...is Invasion of the Body Snatchers, 1956. Also from that era, Fiend Without A Face, which was actually banned in some cities.

I know I'm in the minority in preferring the original The Thing from Another World to Carpenter's version, but there you are.

I'm also a big Harryhausen fan: 20 Million Miles to Earth and It Came from Beneath the Sea are favorite monster pics, though not really scary. And certain portions of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad definitely fall in the horror category.

Really scary? Halloween of course, and parts of The Ring creeped me out. My over-the-top pick would be The Re-animator.

As others said, there are many!

Jan

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It might be hard to find (I don't think it's on DVD yet, but there was a VHS), Todd Browning's "Freaks" is a creepy movie about carnival folk (the only thing scarier than nuclear war).

It's about a trapeze artist who seduces a midget to get ahold of his fortunes. The freaks in the carnival don't take kindly to this and torture her and her real boyfriend. And the freaks are played by real sideshow actors from the time.

It was banned in the UK for 30 years or something. It's a real creepy flick.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
You know, I think the Karloff versions of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein are still creepy. That introductory shot of the monster in Frankenstein still creeps me out, especially the jump cuts in to his face. And there's something about there being no music in that scene -- just complete silence -- that gives me the willies.

And in the restored version that's available on DVD, the cruelty of Fritz towards the monster I find disturbing as well.

I must sadly say that I have a hard time enjoying horror movies nowdays. Most of the time I just end up laughing at them. However I absolutely loved "The Ring"!! I haven't seeen "Ringu" yet... Anyone seen it?

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
David_Virdefors wrote:

I have - saw them both on the same weekend. Ringu is pretty good, with a tighter backstory than the remake. But The Ring has spooky atmosphere in spades, much more than the original, and is (IMO) the better of the two movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks