Best Home Theatre System <= $200

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Justin W, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Justin W

Justin W Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I'm not looking for theatre quality sound here. Just something for my bedroom to hook up to my 21" TV/VCR. I'm willing to spend up to $200 maybe a little more if it's worth it. Wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I doubt there are any systems under 200, or if there are, ones worth actually getting (not just a matter of sound quality; it would be a matter of reliability and if they actually worked well). What I would recommend is considering one of the two different Onkyo refurb systems that are currently available at Amazon.com (search for Onkyo refurbished at amazon.com). One is a 5.1 system for $275 (the 650), the other is a 6.1 system for $299 (the 760). The refurbed models cost about $200 less than what they go for new.

3. Justin W

yeah man, Onkyo is good stuff. I have an the 650 in my living room. I was hoping for something a little cheaper. There's a $160 Amphion system at circuit city that doesn't look too bad. Does anyone have any experience with that?

EDIT: I just discovered the Onkyo Digital FX Theater (GXW51) it's $237 at Circuit City. Anyone got anything on this. I'm not huge into this stuff but all the speakers are the same size, from looks (which are often decieving) i would think systems with a bigger center speaker would be better? Any information on either of these systems would be greatly appreciated.

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

I have no idea what this system sounds like, but Toshiba has just gotten into the "Home Theater In A Box" market and Costco carries their system for under $200. You can find it here.

Peace,

DM

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

My buddy picked up an RCA HT in a box type deal from Target for around $200. For $200 he likes it. Are you looking for 5.1 or just DPL?

6. Justin W

I'd like 5.1 but I have that in my living room so it's not fundamental.

That costco system looks nice. Target seems to have quite a few systems in that price range so i might go demo some stuff there.

7. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

If you can, buy a set of fluance HTb speakers, then ebay a cheap 5.1 receiver, you will be much happier. good and cheap...it might run you 300 or 350 but very good....if not, look at a kenwood htb. but the fluance/cheap receiver is much better.

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Yamaha makes a small 5.1 system with DD/DTS called the TSS-10.

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

The Onkyo GXW5.1 system you mentioned can be had at some websites and stores, i.e., Fry's electronics for a lot less than at CC. Incidently, the Onkyo website lists the price at $345.00!!! I bought one for my Dad and it is excellent for small spaces; he lives in a mobile home park. It has pretty much all the features, DD5.1 and DTS as well as Pro Logic and ProLogic II. The speakers are all the same size, except for the subwoofer, and power output is 20 watts each to 5 channels and 25 watts to the subwoofer. The amplifier and subwoofer are built into one unit. This unit does not have a DVD player. The unit comes with an optical cable for connection to a digital source, like your DVD player, and sports a digital coaxial input as well. It also has a second input so that a VCR, TV or CD player can be attached. I got my Dad's unit for well under $100.00 on Fry's website. The only downside to it is that the subwoofer could use a bigger speaker cone, but for small spaces it is more than enough. It gets loud enough that my Dad's neighbors have complained when he is watching movies with a lot of booms and bangs. One of my friend's was so impressed with the little Onkyo that he went and purchased one for his bedroom so his wife could watch her movies in surround sound while in bed. Check it out, it is better than any of the other bottom of the line HTiB systems I auditioned before I bought the Onkyo GXW5.1. One of the sales reps at Fry's website told me by phone that the units are flying off their shelves. BTW - I was over at my friend's house, who owns the Onkyo GXW5.1 and he was watching an Eagles concert DVD.....it sounded excellent.

10. Justin W

thanks alot chuck, looks like you just made up my mind. i've seen it for as low as 150. i'll check fry's.