What's new

Best HOME THEATRE Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
What is the best HOME THEATRE subwoofer that i can buy either new or used for around $800-$1000 american, and where can I buy that?

I know that "the best subwoofer" thread is going, but it moved too quickly from talking about home theatre into cars and there was no price range mentioned.

Thanks,
Kevin

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I know that SVS is considered by most to be the best, and I mostly agree. But here are a few other good contenders for comparisons sake:

Paradigm PW-2200
HSU VTF-3
Sunfire

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
ACI Titan II LE...about $900 if you can find one used (fat chance). $1150 retail.

I NEVER see one of these on Audiogon...like one every six months tops. To me, that says it's a quality piece of equipment.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
MY dual SVS 16-46CS+ subs still absolutely rock after over 1 year of ownership ...
I've been through 4 different sets of speakers, 2 different TVs 2 recievers, etc ... The subs remain ... As a matter of fact I think I want more!! :D

Jason Reich

Stunt Coordinator
Oneonta, NY ! how about the snow we are getting! Greeting from the Southern Tier(Elmira). I also recomend the SVS. I have a 22-31pci and I love mine. I can't imagine the performance of the pc+!! the guys at SVS are a joy to deal with and the sub ROCKS! I have heard nothing but good things about SVS, thats why I bought mine. let me know if you get down my way and maybe we can arrange a demo.

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
I NEVER see one of these on Audiogon...like one every six months tops. To me, that says it's a quality piece of equipment.
Well that deduction is not necessarily true ... The type of person who's going to buy an ACI is a different type of person than someone who's going to buy Earthquake supernovas or Dual SVS ultras ...

Think of a person who buys an AMG Mercedes vs someone who buys a Corvette Z06 ... Both are quality pieces of engineering, but one is all about performance and the other is a balance of performance vs prestige ...

The performance croud is the HARDEST to keep happy in the long term, they always want more!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
SVS 20-39PC+ - ditto!

IMHO, you would have to spend a bunch more dough, or get into DIY to better an SV sub. For the price, they have no peer in terms of total performance: Deep extension, flat FR, low THD, and sheer SPL. They do everything well - music & HT - neutral, detailed, transparent. Very high quality drivers and amps and great build quality. This company has a rabid following for a very good reason.

Regards,

Ed

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Build an infinite baffel. $1000 (excluding tools) could build you a truely remarkable infinite baffel sub.
http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475
Four Tempests resistively damped to a Q in the 0.5-0.6 range with a decent 2ch pro amp and a BFD 1124P will clean up in the under $1000 category. Actually I doubt many in the 3-4x that amount category could compete.
But if you have to buy a ready made sub I'd be looking at the PC+ with that budget.

Jon Best

Grip
For a HT ONLY sub I don't see how SVS can be beat,(VMPS is the only noticebly better I've heard) I'm sure there are a few out there that may be equal or a tad better but for the $$$ SVS is a can't miss as far as HT goes.
Now if you were to say HT/audio I think SVS is still near the top but with much more competition. It's not till you get to music only rigs that SVS fails to be among the better performers (imo)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think most would agree the Bose Acoustimass would out perform any-thing that has been mentioned so far.

Jon Best

Grip
No doubt, I don't know how I forgot it. The bose AM series subs may not have the full output as SVS but it's by far more "musical" and just soooo much faster. How they get so much from such a small box with 4 3/4" drivers is something I'll never be able to comprehend.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You know it's good to laugh and right now there is plenty of it in front of my monitor. Thanks Jon.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Come on guys...did you forget..VIDEO STAGE 5....the Acoustimass will set fire to anything in its path. How about "DUAL" Acoustimass...be like a Greatful Dead concert!

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Like mentioned before, besides DIY the SVS PC Plus subs would be the best bet.

I don't think my SVS CS Ultra give up anything musically to other commercial subs at any price. I haven't heard the CS series but I used to have a 20-39CS Plus and that was also one of the most musical subs I've heard as well. Although I might take a Velo HGS15 or 18 over the 20-39CS Plus for a music only system(definately not for HT), I wouldn't think taking it over my Ultra.

Dustin, your constant recommendation of infinite baffle are really making me think of cutting a hole in my ceiling. I'd really like to hear how infinite baffle is for music.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Doesn't infinite baffle turn your whole house into a sub...I heard you can here it throughout the house...hard to limit to one room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks