Best home theater subwoofer for around $1,300?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Haris Ellahi, May 29, 2003.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Which is the best home theater subwoofer for around $1,300?

2. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Haris...for about 50 bucks in shipping total back and forth...buy a svs and test the thing...I've read 4 different posts about slam and best sub etc...they make great subs...and I'd be willing to say you keep it after listening to it for 45 days...I've owned 2 svs's (2039pci, and now the B4+) and I wouldn't buy another sub...why? Because this one suits my needs..and they are great to work with...grab one, and go with it...I think the PC+ cylinder should not be forgotten either...I can't recall how many times I've had the roof moving here...on LOTR..I play 20 under reference, and it seems like I'm in the battle! email them...or just buy one and test it out like we all have....and happy at that[​IMG] ya don't see many go back for sound quality reasons...only for wife not liking the style reasons[​IMG] tom

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

SVS without a doubt!

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It's all there just for the asking and some $$$ of course.[​IMG]

5. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Haris:

Over the last 9 months, on three different forums, you have dreamed up dozens of hypothetical sub comparos and shoot-outs. You have received hundreds upon hundreds of well-intentioned responses from forum members. Even the most cautious of buyers would have moved past the information gathering stage at this juncture. I submit it is time for you to pull the trigger.

Regards,

Ed

7. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Haris,

I have to agree with Edward - and I think he put it politely as well. I've seen far less repetitious requests receive far more sarcastic responses, whether motivated by digs of camaraderie to intentional provocation.

All of the options you are considering are quite good. You will be impressed with any of them.

Since you are asking for opinions, here's my limited one: Get the SVS PB2+. I have reason to suspect my HT money is more limited than yours, and so my sub money was more dearly parted with. I bought a (different model) SVS and not only never second-guessed myself, it may be the most satisfied I've been with any HT purchase. That was one of the original SVS PC for $750. You're talking about something like the equivalent of 4-6 of mine down low for $1300 (not sure I have that multiplier right).

Based on TVs word (which I trust based on how I've seen him conduct himself and how statements of his were verified by others later), the PB2+ will have the highest SPL down low of the options you've discussed. Based on my personal experience, I trust that it will have a flat profile and lowww extension. Others may argue it's "musicality", (and I state "argue"), but you're looking for HT.

Re slam, you've read how it's accentuated by a freq hump around 40-50 Hz. If you match your sub SPLs to the speakers with a hump at 40-50 Hz then the 20-30 Hz vibe/shake/pants-flapping will be depressed. BTW, that's also the reason to check for room nodes and to fix them with either eq and/or treatments. I personally had a strong induced hump at that range. My sub originally sounded "great," but when I eq'd it out, it seemed like another whole level of performance opened up.

Get a properly set up SVS and just listen to the beginning of either Toy Story 2 or Star Wars 2 - you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face. Have unsuspecting guests over, and you'll truly learn the meaning of "agape." If you get the SVS and are as happy as I think you will be, you'll have to have me over the next time I'm in town [​IMG] (I've never been east of London, and that only once on business)

This is the first time I've replied to one of your posts, and probably the last as well. Yes, I've noticed how rude others have been to you, but I felt you were discourteous as well. I do think you're trying, which is more than I can say for some of those others. (for any one unfamiliar with what I'm talking about, no I won't explain who, what, or where).

Just pull the trigger, man. I think the missed movie time is worth more money than the differences you're worrying over.

enjoy,

Eric

8. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

I like SVS myself, they are great.. but if it was me and my money, i would build one myself or pay someone to build one for me.. i decided on a Tumult in a 24" cube with dual Styrke 18" PR's with an 800w amp. I would throw it up against any SVS.. it would be right in your price range.

i never entirely read the previous posts but now that i have, pull the friggin trigger..

Craig

9. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

agreed...my first post was telling him that in a different way[​IMG] Craig..how would it do against the B4+? just curious...cuz man, this thing moves my roof...at 12 feet away, you can feel shit moving...kicks ass[​IMG]

10. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Haris, I couldn't believe how many threads you have started when I looked at your profile, holy crap! It seems as though you like comparison threads, yet you start a thread and hardly, if at all, ever respond to any of the people who posted in your threads.

My advice, pull the trigger on a car, a sub, a receiver, speakers, and anything else you were comparing!

ok I'm done.

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I remember posting to a individual about a year ago the same kind of reply Ed. He was all over the Forum for about six months or so asking for comparisons. He was even in the (Hardware For Sale) section acting like he had a interest in many different sub offerings. Then I would see him in the (DIY) section going on there as if he were going to build, along with his continues "as if he were interested" questions in the (Speakers and Subwoofers) section. What really blew my mind was coming across him on a different Forum with the same type of behavior... Go Figure??[​IMG]

12. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd agree with Craig that a Tumult with proper power and PR's would be an incredible sub that would have very few peers.

14. James Elvick

James Elvick Supporting Actor

Hello All,

Any speculation is appreciated on how the PB2+ would compare to dual 25-31CS+ with a Samson S1000? Tuning is the same it appears, what about SPL?? Also, that SPL would be lower if the subs were not side by side correct?

James

15. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

16. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

James>> Since I run duel 25-31 CS+'s along with a QSC 1450 amp (450 watts to each 25-31 cs+) I was planning on a light comparison when my PB2+ arrives. If you have any suggestions on what you would like to see in this just let me know?___
    >
    Yes I do get a +6 db boost with with them placed in the same corner and a +3 db boost with them parted. I am kind of interested also to know what kind of SPL can be achieved with the duel and the PB2+ all in the same location? [​IMG]