Best home theater subwoofer for $1,000 or less?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Haris Ellahi, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Which is the best home theater subwoofer for $1,000 or less?

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

DIY Tumult or dual AV15 w/ a beastly pro amp would be my choice. Commercial you're looking at maybe an SVS PB2 ISD or a 20-39 CS+ w/ a Samson 1000 amp. HSU VTF-3 may also be a consideration but i don't think it has the output of the other mentioned comercial subs.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

SVS without a doubt. Call Ron there and talk to him... he will come up with the best solution for your listening area and will not over sell you.. Super company and great guys to work with.. I am on my 3rd set of subs...My last ones were dual NHT's. No compairison... the SVS beats them all hands down. I admire you DIYers... Would love to try sometime but with work and a family.. there is no time plus the cost difference is not worth the time I would spend....

4. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

What size room are we talking about? Any openings, if so, how big are they? Do you have something readily available other than your primary receiver to power it with?

Spending $1K just to spend it is foolishness in its finest. Better to check your needs first and go from there.