What's new

Best home theater setup for this room? (Pics) (1 Viewer)

woodsworth

Auditioning
Real Name
wanna1
I'm looking for some guidance as to how I should set up my room with a home theater, due to how awkward the room really is. I would also like suggestions on what home theater is the best for my price range. My budget is $600 but it doesn't mean I need to use it all.

Keep in mind the ceiling is vaulted up to the 2nd floor, and the stairs make a U-turn after the first part you see in the picture and continue to go up. If you need more info please don't hesitate to ask.

woodsworth

Auditioning
Real Name
wanna1
The wall opposite of the stairs (uppermost wall on the picture) is a large window spanning nearly the entire wall. It's virtually unusable aside from about 3 feet on each side (from the ground to the ceiling almost 15 feet up).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You could get one of the Onkyo HTiBs. We used to recommed thee S5300, but they seemed to have jacked up the price on those. And you could try placing the surrounds at the corner of the room by end table and end the beginning of the stairs. But I agree with Casey that I'd probably just get a 2.1 or 3.1 system for that price range. That will give you better speakers; and just forget the surrounds.

woodsworth

Auditioning
Real Name
wanna1
I've got a bose Cinemate series II that I enjoy but the subwoofer is so weak that I am planning to return it. What do you suggest for a 2.1/3.1 system?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
The Bose doesn't have a subwoofer. It has a "bass module" which in no way fits the classification of a subwoofer. There's no surprise that its performance is underwhelming.

How long have you had the TV in that location? I'm just guessing, but is the "ledge" a fireplace mantle? If so, what's your experience been having the TV placed above the fireplace?

If relocating the TV to the wall opposite the dining room entrance (the left wall in your picture) is not a viable option, then I agree with the others that attempting to squeeze surround speakers into a corner arrangement like the one you've shown would be difficult at best.

For $600 one option for speakers might be:

- Polk Monitor 40s for mains: $150

- Polk CS1 Center: $80

- Dayton 12" Subwoofer: $160

Total: $390 + shipping, etc.

That leaves a little over $200 for a receiver. There are factory refurb. Onkyos like this 508 that would fit the bill, but I'm not terribly familiar with other manufacturers so I'll leave those suggestions to others.

Of course, this assumes you're OK with bookshelf sized speakers, as opposed to the tiny satellites you have with the Bose system.

Really, you need to listen to speakers to decide for yourself what sounds best to you. Don't overbuy on the receiver side of things, and since you've got a vaulted ceiling and were underwhelmed with the bass performance of your current system, don't skimp too much on the subwoofer. Larger is better and it's the only part of your system where wattage matters.

woodsworth

Auditioning
Real Name
wanna1
Yes it is a fireplace mantle. We moved in a little over a month ago and have yet to use the fireplace. Chances are we will use it very little due to the fact that the TV is above it.

I appreciate the links and will look deeper into them shortly.

As for the reciever you linked me, considering i'm not going to be using 7.1 or 3D ever, are there any other options?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
All 7.1 receivers can be configured to run as 5.1 (or 3.1, 2.0, etc.) These days just about all receiver models are 7.1.

As for the 3D thing, it's just another standard that is becoming widely accepted. It's usually "code" for "HDMI 1.4" compliance.

Really, you aren't paying any more for the "3D" label. In fact, last year's models (in Onkyo's case, the x08 models) are starting to go up again in price as availability goes down. The newer models (x09) are dropping in price and becoming the better bargains.

With receivers, the main criteria is connectivity, followed by "receiver-centric" features like calibration/setup utilities, networking capability, streaming media/HD Radio options, iPod docks, etc. If you have any non-HDMI devices (like a Wii), then convenience features like "analog to digital upconversion" of all video sources to output via HDMI becomes more attractive as well.

Receivers from all the major manufacturers: Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha are all reasonably comparable in features and prices. Don't worry too much about wattage numbers on receiver specs - they don't mean a whole lot in "real world" applications.

woodsworth

Auditioning
Real Name
wanna1
Thanks for your help! I may not be an audiophile but when I watch movies, I want to FEEL the audio and bass! I'll look further into my options as they become available.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
For $600 it will be tough to get a 3.1 system that will produce those kinds of results. If you can up your budget a bit, a great subwoofer value is the 12" model from Lava Subs. If you provide your HTF username when you purchase, you get a 15% discount that brings the price down to about $285.

Another solid performer in the similar price range that gets lots of recommendations is this BIC 12" subwoofer. If you absolutely can't spring for the Lava, then this is a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks