What's new

Best home theater audio system to buy with a low budget... (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Well, Hope, an SVS sub is gonna run you $400+, so you might want to look for a cheaper option there. Unless you have the cash to spend on it.

Yeah, I was noticing that too... We have have a sub as well, gotta ask my dad with out revealing too much info...hehe. But I like brand new things to give as presents, so knowin me I will probably buy and new sub anyway. *shakes head* :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Hope, tweaking/accessories section has many great recommendations on wire connections.

[Let me just say, I'm running a very similar set-up to what you're getting and a $24 100ft. roll of Acoustic Research and some misc. Belden strands wired most of my home theater speaker set-up. There are even cheaper routes.]

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Hey Hope, if your gonna spend that kind of money, why don't you look into getting a better receiver like a Denon 3805s from www.ecost.com and then your father can upgrade the sub when hes ready to. Or, you could also get a nice universal remote control if he has too many remotes lying around. I need one too, but I cant spend any money right now cause in a couple weeks I'm going to Rome and Greece for 2 weeks, so I need to be frugal. :D

John S

Senior HTF Member
I actually like the route you are headed now very much Hope...

I feel a great sub and great speakers with a decent 6.1 AVR is a way winner on cost -vs- performance. The Onkyo 6.1 AVR will not dissapoint in anyway, unless you would be going way way up the price scale.

You father is a way way lucky person, if'n ya ask me.

PS: Nothing says love like an SVS SUB!!!! lol

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Hope, Wasn't your initial budget $500? I think you should just buy him the Onyko 770 or something equivilant to that. The receiver that comes with it is adaquate. Then let HIM eventually upgrade the spks to his tastes and then eventually he'll upgrade the receiver, giving you the old one when you move out because of too many arguments over the car.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Chris, her father has a chance to get an SVS free...
Shhhhhhhhhh, don't blow it for him!!!

I know if I had a chance for an SVS as a gift, I sure wouldn't want anybody talking the giver out of it, that's for sure. lol

Hope, the amount of your time, thought and effort your putting into this is really quite touching in my most humble opinion anyways.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Now that's more like it Chris... lol Pretty darn funny really. I have now heard two different SVS subs, and they were both really remarkable, enough better than any included sub in the Onkyo 760/770 system, to merrit the expense and performance gain. And I still use a Velodyne myself.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on lately to discuss this lovely topic...(yeah right)...been busy with school. I have 7 classes and 5 of them are Honors. ;( Oh well, hopefully I will be buying soon. I will keep ya posted! And if you have any other suggestions. just give me a holla!!

Yes, the pic in my sig is me. ;( My daddy put it there without my knowing. I know it looks bad, you can scald your eyes out later! ;) HEHE!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks